+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Resident Spouse Class Fees

Aug 23, 2024
Alberta Canada
My husband and I are about ready to send in his application to become a permanent resident in Canada, I have spent months collecting all the documents and paperwork needed.
I am now at one of the last steps, paying fees so that we experience at little delays as possible, and I cannot figure out the proper amount to pay.
I use the Fee Wizard and answer questions to see what fees we pay, but I don't know which set of answers/fees are correct for us.

Tell us what you want to do
I answer "Permanently live in Canada or get permanent resident documents"
The next question is where it can branch off and drastically change the fees amount
What are you applying for?
If I answer "Temporary resident to permanent resident pathway (TR to PR pathway)", say yes to paying the right of permanent residence fee now and yes to needing biometrics the total fees come to $1,295.
If I answer "I’m a temporary resident permit holder applying to stay in Canada permanently", say yes to paying the right of permanent residence fee now and yes to needing biometrics the total fees come to $1,035.

I have no idea which is correct in his case because they both kind of sound the same. He is currently a temporary resident, as he is a visitor until March 2025 (later if we apply to extend his stay again), so doesnt that make him a temporary resident permit holder that is applying to stay in Canada permanently? I genuinely do not understand the difference the sound like the same thing to me but answering one vs the other clearly means something as it changes the fees. Any help on which answer is correct and which set of fees if the correct one to pay?

Many thanks in advance, I have been trying to desipher all this mumbo jumbo for 6 months or so and my brain is so scrambled at this point I just need this last bit of help so this application for my husband can be sent off.