+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent residence card application while visa is expired

Djyoti

Sep 23, 2014
Hello,

I have been asked today to submit the passport regarding my application on PR. My Canada visa expires this week, but I have a valid study permit for at least one more year. As the following note shows I must "obtain permanent residence on or before" the visa expiration date. I am confused about this. Should I first apply for an extension for my Canada visa and then send the passport with extended visa to CIC? Or, this will not be an issue since I have a valid study permit?

"The issuance of your visa(s) cannot be delayed so it is important for you to submit your passport(s) as soon as possible. An expiration date (dd/mm/yy) will be indicated on your visa and/or on your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR – IMM 5688), and you must obtain permanent residence on or before that date. The visas and CoPR cannot be extended. If you are not prepared to live permanently in Canada immediately after your permanent residence is granted, please consult the CIC website regarding your obligations to retain your status in Canada."

I would appreciate any advice on this.

Sincerely,

DJyoti

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

It has nothing to do with your current visa. CIC will put a new visa in your passport when you send it to them. Your must land before that visa expires.