+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

payment for eTA always gets declined.

torano

Jul 16, 2022
I am trying to get eTA for temporary travel from Japan, but the $7 payment always gets declined with a error message "Transaction Declined".

I tried it several times checking everying very cafefully, but nothing changes. I can pay for Amazon shopping and others totally fine. I contacted with a VISA guy and she said the record of payment was not found for some reason so she couldn't help me at all. So I think it is the website's issue rather than the card's.

I am traveling in 2 weeks, so I need to get eTA as fast as possible, but now I can't do anything myself but just ask here. Does anyone know what is happening?

ryvinson

Star Member
Apr 26, 2019
I am trying to get eTA for temporary travel from Japan, but the $7 payment always gets declined with a error message "Transaction Declined".

I tried it several times checking everying very cafefully, but nothing changes. I can pay for Amazon shopping and others totally fine. I contacted with a VISA guy and she said the record of payment was not found for some reason so she couldn't help me at all. So I think it is the website's issue rather than the card's.

I am traveling in 2 weeks, so I need to get eTA as fast as possible, but now I can't do anything myself but just ask here. Does anyone know what is happening?
Yes, it happens when there’s an issue with the payment gateway. Give it a break and try again. Use another card if necessary.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Try another day. Maybe system was down due to Rogers outage a week ago.

torano

Jul 16, 2022
Thank you guys. I just found that on the website:

Some users may have had issues paying for their eTA between June 15 and 23, 2022.
If you applied for an eTA and your credit card payment was not processed, your eTA application was not processed. You’ll need to apply again, if you have not done so already. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Once your payment is processed, you’ll get an email from us with either your eTA number (if your eTA is approved) or your next steps.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you guys. I just found that on the website:

Some users may have had issues paying for their eTA between June 15 and 23, 2022.
If you applied for an eTA and your credit card payment was not processed, your eTA application was not processed. You’ll need to apply again, if you have not done so already. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Once your payment is processed, you’ll get an email from us with either your eTA number (if your eTA is approved) or your next steps.
So you applied a month ago (June 15-23) and just paying now? The system had a major outage this past week and payment gateways may not be fully operational.

torano

Jul 16, 2022
So you applied a month ago (June 15-23) and just paying now? The system had a major outage this past week and payment gateways may not be fully operational.
Oh wait, I totally misunderstood it. I thought it is July 15-23 not June.
The first time I failed to apply & pay for eTA is July 15. So, as you said the outage might be stopping me from paying.

I tried several times, for severial days. not work at all. I even tried with my mother's card as weel as my father's one. Neither worked. It is the website's issue not mine.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Oh wait, I totally misunderstood it. I thought it is July 15-23 not June.
The first time I failed to apply & pay for eTA is July 15. So, as you said the outage might be stopping me from paying.

I tried several times, for severial days. not work at all. I even tried with my mother's card as weel as my father's one. Neither worked. It is the website's issue not mine.
Try other browsers and wait a few days.

torano

Jul 16, 2022
Does anyone else have the same issue?
If it is the internet issue or the website's issue, then a lot of people must suffer from it.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Does anyone else have the same issue?
If it is the internet issue or the website's issue, then a lot of people must suffer from it.

A lot of people suffered from the Roger's outage 10 days ago. It's not difficult to google the details.

torano

Jul 16, 2022
A lot of people suffered from the Roger's outage 10 days ago. It's not difficult to google the details.
I mean that If the outage makes it difficult to apply for eTA, a lot of people woruld report it, and maybe I would get more replies but actually I didn't.

torano

Jul 16, 2022
Well, my application just got approved! I tried 3 times, first 2 failed and last succeeded with the same input. It is definitely about the website.
Now I have to apply for my sister's eTA. I still get failed with the same input but I guess I just continue to do it again and again.

Eyeoneguy

Sep 24, 2024
oh...I had a similar issue a while back when trying to get my eTA for a quick trip. The payment just kept getting declined, even though my card was fine for everything else. I ended up using a different browser (switched from Chrome to Firefox), and for some reason, that did the trick. Another friend of mine cleared their cookies and it worked. Not sure if it'll help in your case, but it's worth a shot. Also, while prepping for my trip, I came across https://explorejapannow.com/2-week-japan-itinerary-for-families-with-kids/, which was super helpful in organizing my plans!

Last edited: