+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport Validity Requirement

jerick15

Feb 24, 2016
Hi All,

This is a very important and urgent query. If anybody could respond soonest, I'd be really thankful.

So here it is..

I have applied for a Student Visa and just recently received an email of notification from CIC. It is the one of Original Passport Request Letter.

In the letter, 2 of the Passport Requirements asked are
• Your Passport must be valid for the duration of your expected lenght of stay in Canada.
Please note that we cannot issue a visa beyond the expiry date on the passport.

My dilemma now is, my passport upon submission, was only left with until September 2017 validity.
My expected lenght of stay would be around 4 years as required by the University course I am taking starting this year, 2016.
Before submitting my application, I did a research with regards to this, and found that so long as my Passport remains valid until a decision has been made by the CIC, there wont be any problems and that the Canadian Immigration officer would then only allow me somehow like a partial visa, of lenght which my current passport can hold and that I will only need to renew there in Canada when needed until I finish the whole duration of my expected lenght of stay. Initially, I've already planned that once I've settled my stay and enrolled in my classes, I will immediately send my passport for renewal in our Consulate in Toronto.

So, while obviously my passport does not meet the requirement, is it possible that they allow me a visa which is only valid till my passport expires or will I be refused?

Please provide as much info.
Thank you kind souls! :D

Omfarris29

Star Member
Dec 22, 2018
Libya
Category........
Visa Office......
Canada Embassy Manila, Philippines
NOC Code......
Hello. What have u done with the passport? Since I have the same dilemma.