+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport submission in NY

nk1402

Nov 26, 2013
Hi everyone! I applied online and got my passport request... but it's unclear to me what the best way to do this in NYC. As far as I understand, I can only submit in person at the VAC on Wednesdays between 8.30 and 10.30am, and there is a fee of $46.75. If I'm correct, there are also 2 mailing options:

- mail passport + request letter + prepaid return envelope to the Consulate
- mail passport + request letter to the VAC- do I then have to pay the VAC fee of $46.75? If so what is the advantage of doing that over mailing to the Consulate? How can I pay the VAC fee if I mail my passport there? Do I need to also include a prepaid return envelope?

The instructions on the various websites are very unclear...

Thanks for any help!

sp515

Nov 26, 2013
I am also looking for same information. Can some one provide this information?

It is really unclear if we have to send any transmission fees along with Passport and letter from CIC. Or should we just sending a return envelope?

mayankbhat

Nov 2, 2011
sp515 said:
I am also looking for same information. Can some one provide this information?

It is really unclear if we have to send any transmission fees along with Passport and letter from CIC. Or should we just sending a return envelope?
Maybe this is a very silly question but do not have much time to investigate. I applied online last week and got passport request today. So besides passport, request letter and (maybe) transmission fee, do we need to send anything else like original signed applications, etc. The help did mention that they would ask for original signed later

nk1402

Nov 26, 2013
I'm pretty sure that if sending the passport to the consulate (not VAC), then we don't need to pay any more fee, although the envelope costs $20 and sending it there securely probably another $20, so it's around the same. But I have read that things are maybe faster when going through the VAC. I'm gonna try to go there in person tomorrow and hopefully it will be simpler that way...

nk1402

Nov 26, 2013
Just in case this info is useful for others: dropped off my passport in person. The security guy at the front wouldn't let me in without an envelope, so I went to get one, and then, once in, I was told I didn't need an envelope. Paid a $37 VAC fee there, left my passport, and went to pick it up with the visa a week later! If you're in NY, doing as much as you can in person is probably the way to go- no mail-related stress.