+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport request

i45678

Apr 12, 2011
Hi everybody, I've got a question concerning mailing passports to a Canadian consulate in the US.
Me and my wife are in Canada now and we applicants for PR status under CEC program. We got an email from the Canadian Consulate in Los Angeles about the completeion of processing of our application and requesting passports and RPRF. It is not a problem to mail safely passports to Los Angeles but we are confused about finding a safe way to get them back. Canada Post's Xpresspost envelope cannot be used as return envelope. They are suggesting to provide a prepaid (US postage only) USPS Express Mail or USPS Priority Mail, but can you get them in Canada without going to US? The only option which is left is using courier service. They write "your passports will be returned by courier envelope ONLY when you have prepaid the courier company for the return service and enclose a completed shipping label". They don't specify any courier company. Has anybody done this before? Can you do something like this with Fedex? We just don't want our passports to be returned by the Consulate via regular mail. Thank you very much.

ottawaResident

Star Member
Sep 14, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
9-SEP-2011
AOR Received.
21-OCT-11
IELTS Request
Sent with app
File Transfer...
21-OCT-11
Med's Request
21-OCT-11
Med's Done....
27-OCT-11
Interview........
NO
Passport Req..
7-DEC-2011
VISA ISSUED...
3-JAN-2012
LANDED..........
10-JAN-2012
Hey,

I know FEDEX for sure does return shipping. I tried UPS, DHL and Purolator and they all wanted me to have a business account with a tax number....what non-sense.

With FedEx, you call them up and set up an account. You provide them with a credit card number that is linked to this newly created account number.
Next, when you're preparing your documents...do this:

1. FedEx envelopes come in two sizes...one fits easily within the other.
2. Use the smaller one as the return envelope, get a shipping label (the ones where you have to hand write everything) and put in all the pertinent information. There is a field which asks for the account number...put in the # that FedEx created for you. DON'T put your credit card number - privacy issues.
3. There are 5 carbon copies underneath the form - so go through them and see that you can see what it says. If you can't see anything, then trace over them.
4. For the section where it says to describe the contents - just right "Documents".
5. Make sure the FROM and TO addresses are correct. It's FROM Los Angeles and TO your address.
6. Now take a regular envelope - like the ones you get from Staples .... 6"X8" and put your passport and any other documents in them. Write the address on it and seal it.
7. Take this 6X8 envelope and your return envelope and put it in the bigger FedEx envelope that I mentioned in Step 1.
8. Create a new shipping label for you to send it to Los Angeles. Now I did mine online. You can set up an account. ALTERNATIVELY you can just get the ones where you have to hand-write them out and do the whole thing again.
9. NOTE: For the return address...the ones I told you to fill out in Step 2 - you CAN NOT create a return shipping label online - which is why you have to use the hand-written one. But for the bigger envelope (Step 8 ) you can do this online. You choose really.
10. Make sure you write your FedEx account # on this form as well.
11. Send it away
12. Now if Los Angeles asks that a FedEx guy to come over and pick up the return envelope - then you can call up FedEx and ask for a "Remote pickup". They will send a guy to the LA office and pick it up.
13. Alternatively since this is a very common situation - I think Los Angeles may just take care of that for you. Ask them if you can.
14. Relax and enjoy poutine, and a beavertail with Maple Syrup.

So you're wondering - how does this guy know this? Have I done this to any Canadian visa office in the US or anywhere in the world? NOPE

BUT, I did have to go through the same ordeal when I ordered my South African Police Certificate from....well...South Africa. I phoned everywhere and asked which courier provides this service. FedEx was the one.

Also, FedEx seems to have more reasonable rates. It'll still set you back around $150-$200 for the whole process. But guess what...you'll get a brand spankin' new VISA so you can get your awesome Permanent Residence.

i45678

Apr 12, 2011
Thank you ottawaResident for the very detailed explanation. I'm just gonna ask you one more thing. How much time did it take you to get those envelopes from Fedex? I'm not quite sure if there is any Fedex office around and we have only 15 days to mail our application. Thank you.

salmtzo

Star Member
Aug 8, 2011
i45678,

I hope you don't mind if ask you a couple of questions, my VO is also LA, I applied on Sept/2010 and my file was transfered to LA on May/2011, Med req. on Aug/09 and done on Aug/16, I havent heard anything back from them since my medicals; What are your dates for Application, file transfer, etc....

Thanks

Sal

ottawaResident

Star Member
Sep 14, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
9-SEP-2011
AOR Received.
21-OCT-11
IELTS Request
Sent with app
File Transfer...
21-OCT-11
Med's Request
21-OCT-11
Med's Done....
27-OCT-11
Interview........
NO
Passport Req..
7-DEC-2011
VISA ISSUED...
3-JAN-2012
LANDED..........
10-JAN-2012
i45678 said:
Thank you ottawaResident for the very detailed explanation. I'm just gonna ask you one more thing. How much time did it take you to get those envelopes from Fedex? I'm not quite sure if there is any Fedex office around and we have only 15 days to mail our application. Thank you.
Hey i45678,

I don't know really. But if you go to FedEx canada's website, you can go and order the supplies/envelopes for free. Or when you're setting up your account with FedEx, then go ahead and order them on the phone with them.

Also, how come you have only 15 days left? Don't they give you 3 months to make this all happen? Did you wait until the last minute?