06-01-2012
Passport Req..
waiting
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
Hello everyone,

I am a US LPR and just received PPR by email today. I am really confused about whether I am visa exempt or not and hence whether I have to send my actual passport or just the photocopy.

The email says the following:
Dear Applicant,
We are pleased to inform you that the processing of your application for permanent residence in Canada has been completed.

You are required to submit your passport(s), photographs and a copy of this letter by MAIL within the next sixty (60) days from the date of this letter. As the validity of your visa(s) has been already established and is limited to a fixed date, it CANNOT be extended under any circumstances. We therefore urge you to read and follow carefully the instructions below without delay.

Note: As of December 1, 2011, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) will no longer issue a Permanent Resident counterfoil to applicants from visa exempt countries. All applicants approved for permanent residence, whether they hold a passport from a visa exempt country or from a country requiring a visa for Canada, will continue to be issued a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) document.

Please consult our website for a complete list of visa exempt countries: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp#exemptions

If you and/or your dependent(s) hold a passport from a visa exempt country, this office will NOT require your/their passport(s) to finalize this case. Only submit the passport(s) for those persons who require a visa for Canada. For all others, submit a clear photocopy of every page in their valid passports.
===========================================

Now, if you go to the cic link above, you will see the following:
United States citizens and permanent residents: You do not need a visa to visit or transit in Canada if you are a United States citizen or a person lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence who is in possession of their alien registration card (Green card) or can provide other evidence of permanent residence.

Also, I have entered Canada before with just my US green card even though I am a citizen of a country that is otherwise NOT visa-exempt.

So, do I send the passport or the photocopy?

Thanks.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
I would say that you need to send your passport. Even if you can travel to Canada with your US green card, most like when you will travel to Canada to land, you will need to enter on your own passport (as it's the passport number that is on the COPR).
So - I would send the passport to get a visa affixed on it, and with that + the COPR that they will send together with the passport when the visa is issued, you can land in Canada.
Sweden

pineywoods

Dec 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-02-2012
File Transfer...
31-05-2012
Med's Done....
06-01-2012
Passport Req..
waiting
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
Thanks for the quick reply.

I was wondering if there are any US Permanent Residents on board who went through the same thing and could tell what they did. Anyone?

I might need to travel anytime soon and do not want to send the actual passport in.

chipits

Sep 24, 2012
Yeah, you'll need to send in your passport. Your green card doesn't really mean anything to CIC, they need your passport, and since you're not a citizen of the United States, and you're from a non-exempt country, they will almost certainly need your actual passport.