+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport Expiry

SJG85

Aug 28, 2017
Hi all,

I am from India and got the ITA for Canada PR under express entry in July 2017. I submitted all my required documents by October 2017.
My question is regarding the Expiry Date of my passport. Date of Expiry is 01-June-2018. I got to know that at the time of stamping, my passport should have atleast 6 months of validity.
So post Dec 31st 2017 my passport will have less than 6 months of validity left.
Looks like by the time I receive any call for sending the passport for PR stamping I will have less the 6 months of validity left.

So my question is

1. Shall I renew my passport by the time I receive the call to send my passport to Canada High commission?

---- OR ----

2. Is it ok to send the passport for stamping even if it will have less than 6 months of validity.

for #1, in case I renew my passport, how would I let CIC know about the new passport number. Or should I send my New and Old passport both to Canada High Commission for stamping.

anoop_satheesh

Jul 21, 2017
You could renew now and send new passport for stamping. Once you receive new passport, please inform them to update in records prior to your PPR email from them.
The only issue, you may face is, you may need to enter canada before your first passport expiry date.
I faced this situation. My childs passport was renewed just before the PPR and i sent new passport only for stamping. As the whole process was done based on old passport, though they updated new passport details the entry time was restricted before the expiry date in old passport.

Reactions: HelloCanada910

SJG85

Aug 28, 2017
Thanks for the quick reply.

I could renew my passport now, but the issue is entire application and scan copies are based on my current passport details. Since renewal would change the passport number, how would I communicate with CIC regarding my new passport number?

and by PPR, do u mean the stamping?

_Harry_

Sep 29, 2016

I could renew my passport now, but the issue is entire application and scan copies are based on my current passport details. Since renewal would change the passport number, how would I communicate with CIC regarding my new passport number?

You can raise a CSE to get input from the CIC on this and update them.
Yes. PPR means PassPort Request - When CIC requests your passport for one time travel visa stamping.

Reactions: HelloCanada910

anoop_satheesh

Jul 21, 2017

Please find the below link:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=052&top=3

PPR is passport request email to you to send for stamping

HelloCanada910

Star Member
Sep 10, 2018
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia
AOR Received.
07-11-2019
I am planning to request for passport renewal now and expecting PPR next month. If I get new passport after PPR, will there be any issue?