+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

passport expiry and work permit validity missmatch

Kaustubh

May 1, 2013
I got visa for Lambton College sarnia 2 years program. My course starts from 25 August 2014 and ends at 25 May 2016. I got visa which is valid till 6th September 2016. As per normal rules i should get work permit for 3 years i.e upto 2019. but my passport expires on July 2017.

1) Now what should be done to get complete 3 years of work permit?

2)If I apply for PGWP after completion of my course then i will get PGWP up to passport expiry date. how to get work permit extended after renewal of passport?

3) I cant apply for renewal of passport before July 2016. if I decide to first renew passport and then apply for PGWP then i will have to wait for 1 month after my course completion and then apply for new passport and then apply for PGWP. till then i think i will miss deadline for application of PGWP as we have to apply within 90 days after completion of course. Please enlighten my knowledge so that i will feel secure regarding this problem.

Please help.

ola1974

May 21, 2014
NIGERIA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think u still have ample time to sort the issue out with practical experience in canada. You will dfinitely pple that have scaled such issue. Though I agree is good as u approached it earlier.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Kaustubh said:
I got visa for Lambton College sarnia 2 years program. My course starts from 25 August 2014 and ends at 25 May 2016. I got visa which is valid till 6th September 2016. As per normal rules i should get work permit for 3 years i.e upto 2019. but my passport expires on July 2017.

1) Now what should be done to get complete 3 years of work permit?

2)If I apply for PGWP after completion of my course then i will get PGWP up to passport expiry date. how to get work permit extended after renewal of passport?

3) I cant apply for renewal of passport before July 2016. if I decide to first renew passport and then apply for PGWP then i will have to wait for 1 month after my course completion and then apply for new passport and then apply for PGWP. till then i think i will miss deadline for application of PGWP as we have to apply within 90 days after completion of course. Please enlighten my knowledge so that i will feel secure regarding this problem.

Please help.

You can apply for the extension of PGWP (for the remaining duration only) after you renew your PP. Fill up IMM 5709.