+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport expiring before end of phD

Strax

Aug 2, 2022
Hi,

I received an acceptance letter from an University in Alberta to course my phD. The program starts on Aug 2023 and ends in Jun 2027. But my passport will expire in 2026.

I forgot about this detail when I submitted the Visa request. Now IRCC requested my passport and they gave me a 30 days to delivery it, not enough time to renew my passport.

Is this a problem to IRCC? do you think I might loose the chance to get the study visa?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I received an acceptance letter from an University in Alberta to course my phD. The program starts on Aug 2023 and ends in Jun 2027. But my passport will expire in 2026.

I forgot about this detail when I submitted the Visa request. Now IRCC requested my passport and they gave me a 30 days to delivery it, not enough time to renew my passport.

Is this a problem to IRCC? do you think I might loose the chance to get the study visa?
I would submit the current one.

Reactions: bellaluna

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Hi,

This detail has zero impact on your study permit chances. You are already approved in principle.

You will likely get a TRV with the same expiry date as your passport, and whenever you get a new passport, you can apply for a new TRV which should be easy given your student status.

Reactions: YVR123