+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport authorisation

Kiran77

Mar 6, 2013
Hi,

I am in Canada now on Work Permit and I applied for Permanent Residence(my husband is sponsoring me) in New Delhi on November 2012. They have asked me to submit my passport in New Delhi. Currently I am working in Canada and cannot travel to India and submit my passport there. I know that sending passport my courier is illegal.

I wanted to know whether my husband can take my passport on my behalf if I give him an authorisation letter?Will there be any problem in the border or airport? Is it legal? If yes what is the process of authorising ? Is there any legal form for authorisation letter or is it a plain letter signed by me? If my husband takes the passport will it be detected in the airport scanner?

I asked in Indian Embassy but didn't get any satisfactory answer. Please help if anyone has experience going through this process.

zahramer

Jul 9, 2013
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2008
Med's Request
05-2013
Med's Done....
13-06-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Fingers crossed 20-01-2014
LANDED..........
Not until June
Hey

I am facing the same problem. I am studying in London and need to give back my passport to CHC ND. Did you find a way to do it?

I am considering sending my PP with a friend and hand written authority letter to my parents in India as this needs to be done before 02 august 2013.

maverick.dexter

Feb 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
6 Feb 2013
File Transfer...
27 Feb 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
28 May 2013
VISA ISSUED...
7 Aug 2013...DM: 14 Aug 2013
Kiran77 said:
Hi,

I am in Canada now on Work Permit and I applied for Permanent Residence(my husband is sponsoring me) in New Delhi on November 2012. They have asked me to submit my passport in New Delhi. Currently I am working in Canada and cannot travel to India and submit my passport there. I know that sending passport my courier is illegal.

I wanted to know whether my husband can take my passport on my behalf if I give him an authorisation letter?Will there be any problem in the border or airport? Is it legal? If yes what is the process of authorising ? Is there any legal form for authorisation letter or is it a plain letter signed by me? If my husband takes the passport will it be detected in the airport scanner?

I asked in Indian Embassy but didn't get any satisfactory answer. Please help if anyone has experience going through this process.
Yes it is Legal. Rather this is the best way to send your passport to India. good luck!

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi ( Parents Sponsorship )
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
maverick.dexter said:
Yes it is Legal. Rather this is the best way to send your passport to India. good luck!
Incorrect, it's not legal to carry it overseas even with authorization letter but it's a grey area since back of passport doesn't mention overseas - its only meant internal within India ( This is Confirmed reply from Indian Consulate )
However, its generally safer than mail and if carried with suitcase, no issues

I have done it for my folks