+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport asked to be sent during Implied Status

bakpau

Nov 16, 2010
Hi Guys,

I want to know if any of you were in my shoes before.

I applied under CEC last year, and now I just got my instruction to send my passport to Detroit office for Visa issuance :).
But the problem is, my current passport has only expired Work Permit Visa attached to it. I applied for PR while my work permit is still active, then my permit expired while waiting for CEC being processed, and now I am currently in the process of extending my work permit (Yes, I am under "Implied Status" now) but haven't heard anything back yet.

Will this affect the officer not to issue Landed Immigration Visa when they see my passport and know my current Work Permit is expired?
I don't think there is a way for me to prove to them that I have applied for Work Permit extension (currently under "Implied Status") as I havent heard anything back from CIC regarding my work permit extension yet.

Does it mean I have to wait for my work permit extended first or should I just send over my passport with the expired work permit paper in it?

Any thought, guys?

Thanks!

sai_murthy

Aug 2, 2011
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
CCP-O
App. Filed.......
05-08-2011
AOR Received.
15-10-2011
File Transfer...
15-10.2011
Med's Request
15-10-2011
Med's Done....
19-10-2011
Interview........
Waivied
Passport Req..
06-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-12-2011
LANDED..........
30-12-2011
I think , it should not effect.

Under IMPLIED Status, legally, you are eligible to stay in CANADA for 90 days.

Not sure when your recent Valid Work Permit expired. If you have enough time from those 90 days, where you can send the Passports and get them back with in 90th day, you should be fine.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm assuming you already applied to have your work permit extended before it expired. That puts you on implied status. You will remain on implied status until a decision is made on your new work permit extension. NOT 90 days.

All CIC is requesting is your passport, you don't need to leave your expired work permit in it. You can send them a cover letter explaining that you have applied to extend your work permit, the date you sent the application, and that you are awaiting a response. Send the passport now.

bakpau

Nov 16, 2010
Thank you, Sai and rjessome.

I also send email inquiry to detroit office. Here is their reply:

You do not have to send your current or previous work or study permits. When you seek to land, however, the officer will keep your current document because a permanent resident does not require a work permit or study permit, and that document would no longer show your correct status.
And yes, I applied for work permit extension about 2 weeks before my PGWP expired (hence, Implied status).

umairz

Aug 26, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-07-2011
AOR Received.
19-10-2011
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
19-10-2011
Med's Done....
27-10-2011
Passport Req..
02-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
21-12-2011
LANDED..........
07-01-2012
bakpau said:
Thank you, Sai and rjessome.

I also send email inquiry to detroit office. Here is their reply:

And yes, I applied for work permit extension about 2 weeks before my PGWP expired (hence, Implied status).
Yeah, you should be fine. All you need to do is just attach a nice cover letter explaining yopur situation and they can pull out all your information or contact CIC in Canada to check your implied status. i hope you have already sent your passport. I would not wait a single day.