+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport application: Express pickup

PhdStream

Aug 7, 2013
Hi,

I have my oath request. Even if I am able to apply for my passport the next business day after the oath, I have only 9 business days before I leave Canada for my business trip. Considering this fact, the only option I have is to apply urgent pickup or express pickup.

My question is who decides which service to choose from? I have a paid ticket and all hotel bookings, but will that be enough for urgent processing? Does passport office force us to go through the route of express pickup?

Moreover, is 2-9 business days of processing time with express pickup is guarantee or it is also just an average processing time like 12 months for citizenship grant application?

PhdStream

Aug 7, 2013
Hi,

I have my oath request. Even if I am able to apply for my passport the next business day after the oath, I have only 9 business days before I leave Canada for my business trip. Considering this fact, the only option I have is to apply urgent pickup or express pickup.

My question is who decides which service to choose from? I have a paid ticket and all hotel bookings, but will that be enough for urgent processing? Does passport office force us to go through the route of express pickup?

Moreover, is 2-9 business days of processing time with express pickup is guarantee or it is also just an average processing time like 12 months for citizenship grant application?
Anyone??

Aby444

Oct 10, 2014
Abuja
Category........
Visa Office......
AVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with App
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16 - 05- 2016
LANDED..........
JUNE 26, 2016
You decide what processing speed you want. A friend picked hers up the next day after she applied. Apply directly at the passport office Do Not mail it in.

mooer

Mar 6, 2014
Victoria, BC
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
20-03-14
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
11-09-2014
Med's Done....
16-09-2014
Passport Req..
Visa exempt - RPRF 06-11-14
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 26-01-15
LANDED..........
01-02-15
My friend also asked for urgent processing and got her passport within 2 days.

mooer

Mar 6, 2014
Victoria, BC
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
20-03-14
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
11-09-2014
Med's Done....
16-09-2014
Passport Req..
Visa exempt - RPRF 06-11-14
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 26-01-15
LANDED..........
01-02-15

PhdStream

Aug 7, 2013
You just need to apply in person at a Passport office and ask for urgent or express processing. See https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/urgent-emergency-passport.html.
Thanks .. I am aware of that. But what I am worrying is, do they always accept our request for urgent passport application and/or express pickup. I know at least once case (my colleague), where the officer at passport office refused application for standard pickup. My colleague just wanted to avoid Canadapost to deliver his passport, but the official mentioned that is not a valid reason for pickup and it will in fact increase the load of passport office (This was at Ottawa passport office during early May 2019).

Long story short, it would be great if people share their story (reasons, process, evidence submitted) regarding urgent/express passport service.

PhdStream

Aug 7, 2013
A quick update.
So I had my oath on last Friday. I filled my forms before the oath ceremony and took it with me. Once I received the certificate, I wrote citizenship certificate number with black pen and used the same pen to signed and date the application. Furthermore, my guarantor used the same pen to fill her information and signed.

The day after, on Saturday morning, I found my ecas status changed to "Complete".

I went to passport office on the next business day, i.e., Tuesday (labor day long weekend). Though I had a paid air ticket (flight was after 10 business days during night), I was told that they wont process my application on urgent basis (same day or the next day). Rather they gave me options of urgent pickup and standard pickup, with just 1 day difference to pickup the passport. I paid for standard pickup and they have guaranteed that passport will be ready on the morning of my flight date. Though, my wife is not travelling with me, they agreed to process her passport for standard pickup with an additional $20 charge per application. One thing that I was told is, there is a chance that the passports will be ready to pickup before the agreed date. They do not call us to inform about this, however they do entertain our call to check if our passports are ready to pickup.

Moreover, for pickup they give an official pickup slip. The applicant can actually nominate someone else to pickup the passport. There is a section on the slip to print his/her name (the one who is nominated to pickup) and sign to authorize such.

Last edited:
Reactions: arunpers