+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Part time issue according to PGWP

daochi48

Apr 24, 2021
hello everyone
thank you for your read and your recommendations
I was at a college for Hospitality management diploma in 2 years. unfortunately I had winter 2020 semester was switched into part time because I took only 6 credits (min is 9 credits to be fulltime). this happened because my scores in first semester were bad so I asked my program's department chair for course planning but he said I could have 6 credits.
as my program requirement, i have to take min 24 credits per year counted summer, fall, winter, and in summer and fall I had finished 21 credits, so he said another 6 credit semester was enough. but international immigration at my school disagreed and said even there were min 24 credits per year and i had finish 21 credits, i still had to remain min 9 credits in each fall and winter semester. finally, that winter semester was part-time status.

now im going to apply PGWP. what are you recommendation?
thank you all

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
hello everyone
thank you for your read and your recommendations
I was at a college for Hospitality management diploma in 2 years. unfortunately I had winter 2020 semester was switched into part time because I took only 6 credits (min is 9 credits to be fulltime). this happened because my scores in first semester were bad so I asked my program's department chair for course planning but he said I could have 6 credits.
as my program requirement, i have to take min 24 credits per year counted summer, fall, winter, and in summer and fall I had finished 21 credits, so he said another 6 credit semester was enough. but international immigration at my school disagreed and said even there were min 24 credits per year and i had finish 21 credits, i still had to remain min 9 credits in each fall and winter semester. finally, that winter semester was part-time status.

now im going to apply PGWP. what are you recommendation?
thank you all
Unfortunately the fact that you went part-time should make you ineligible for PGWP but you will have to see what happens. The international student coordinator was right that you should have taken courses to make you full-time. If you get denied I would suggest getting an immigration lawyer.

daochi48

Apr 24, 2021
Unfortunately the fact that you went part-time should make you ineligible for PGWP but you will have to see what happens. The international student coordinator was right that you should have taken courses to make you full-time. If you get denied I would suggest getting an immigration lawyer.
you right and maybe just hope