+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pandemic ruined my timeline, what now?

Feb 21, 2020
My husband and I are currently in Canada.
We were banking on being drawn for Express Entry shortly before the pandemic shut everything down. Because of this we were unable to write our IELTS which, coupled with our work experience, would give us the points we needed to be drawn. Now we are in a situation where we could only get a booking for our IELTS two months before our work permits expire. This leaves us an incredibly small window to get our results, get drawn, and submit the documents before our WPs expire.

On top of that I am aware we need to apply to extend our WP or apply to change our status to visitors 30 days before the WPs expire. We would most likely get our results and enter the EE pool after the 30 day cut of threshold for changing our status or applying for a bridging visa.

What are the correct steps we must take in order to stay (and have status) in Canada until we get drawn? Should we apply now to change our status to visitors for when our WPs expire?

Any advice is very much appreciated.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My husband and I are currently in Canada.
We were banking on being drawn for Express Entry shortly before the pandemic shut everything down. Because of this we were unable to write our IELTS which, coupled with our work experience, would give us the points we needed to be drawn. Now we are in a situation where we could only get a booking for our IELTS two months before our work permits expire. This leaves us an incredibly small window to get our results, get drawn, and submit the documents before our WPs expire.

On top of that I am aware we need to apply to extend our WP or apply to change our status to visitors 30 days before the WPs expire. We would most likely get our results and enter the EE pool after the 30 day cut of threshold for changing our status or applying for a bridging visa.

What are the correct steps we must take in order to stay (and have status) in Canada until we get drawn? Should we apply now to change our status to visitors for when our WPs expire?

Any advice is very much appreciated.
The 30 days is just a guideline - not a rule. Your application to change / extend your status needs to be received before your current work permit expires. That can be 1 day before it expires. Doesn't have to be 30.

Wait until you are a couple of weeks away from the end of your work permits and then apply to change your status to visitor.

Feb 21, 2020
The 30 days is just a guideline - not a rule. Your application to change / extend your status needs to be received before your current work permit expires. That can be 1 day before it expires. Doesn't have to be 30.

Wait until you are a couple of weeks away from the end of your work permits and then apply to change your status to visitor.
Thank you thats great to know! Do you know how long it takes to hear back from them about that?