+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OWP Eligibility - Previous unauthorized study covered by current temporary public policy?

compiler1234

Nov 13, 2023
Hello,

When reviewing my personal timeline, I realized that I may have studied without authorization while on PGWP.

I took a part-time course that delayed beyond the six months that are authorized while on PGWP but due to its part-time nature and having some intermittent breaks, it didn't cross my mind to refer back to the conditions of my PGWP and get a study permit.

The studying was over the course of 12 months in 2021-2022.

Since I'm planning to apply for an OWP soon (through Spousal PR in Canada Class), I'm wondering what the best way forward is.

Would the current public policy that exempts workers from holding a study permit, apply in retrospect to my situation?
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/mandate/policies-operational-instructions-agreements/public-policies/study-without-study-permit.html

The public policy would cover me if I studied today (PGWPs issued before June 07, 2023), but since it only came into effect in July 2023 I'm unclear whether it excuses/covers previous time spent studying without specifically holding a study permit (on top of PGWP).