+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Overstay in Canada in the past reason for Rejection in PR?

Jessicagirl

Dec 15, 2016
Hi All,

My current score is 486 and I'm in the process of applying and creating my CIC profile. I've explained my situation below and have a few questions. Kindly help:

I worked on Working Holiday Visa in Canada for 2 years from 2013 to 2015. Post this as I was in a relationship with someone I stayed back on a visitor visa which expired in 2016 September. However, I failed to notice the same and overstayed in Canada. I left Canada 2 weeks ago and returned to my home country- Ireland. I now want to apply for immigration and as my score is 486, I'm sure looking at the trend I'll soon receive an invite.

Questions:
1. If all my documents are in place. Can my PR application be rejected when they notice my overstay dates?
2. Do I add a letter of explanation to CIC along with my application and share what went wrong. Will this help? (I can provide my previous company ref letters, pay stubs, Landlord references, friends references, my teaching background in Ireland for 10 years to create a case that my background is clear, and this was an unintended mistake?)
3. I also missed on filing my T4 for the 2 years I worked in Canada. Can this go against me?

Thank You

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
1) they technically can't hold it against you once you have left. You weren't issued an exclusion order so once you have gone, there's nothing they can do.
2) I would explain it in an LOE and give a heartfelt apology. Try and prove you weren't working during this time.
3) file your tax returns asap. You may have paid tax, but if you ever move back to Canada they can chase you for $1000's in fines!!

Reactions: lino82

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Jessicagirl said:
1. If all my documents are in place. Can my PR application be rejected when they notice my overstay dates?
2. Do I add a letter of explanation to CIC along with my application and share what went wrong. Will this help? (I can provide my previous company ref letters, pay stubs, Landlord references, friends references, my teaching background in Ireland for 10 years to create a case that my background is clear, and this was an unintended mistake?)
3. I also missed on filing my T4 for the 2 years I worked in Canada. Can this go against me?
1. An overstay will not have any effect on a PR app.

2. There is no need to add a letter of explanation. There are questions in the app where you will need to state the overstay.

3. "Missed" filing your taxes? Committing tax fraud is not very smart if you want to live here. File your taxes ASAP.

Reactions: lino82

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
canuck_in_uk said:

2. There is no need to add a letter of explanation. There are questions in the app where you will need to state the overstay.

3. "Missed" filing your taxes? Committing tax fraud is not very smart if you want to live here. File your taxes ASAP.
I can't believe I have just noticed I didn't pay my tax for 2012! I worked mid Nov till Dec (paid tax so likely OWED it all back!). I filed for the whole 2013 and 2014. Hmmm.... well... gonna be doing that soon! At least according to the CRA website they max fines at 12 months, so if they owe me and fine me, it should cancel out ;).....actually quite annoyed at myself!

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
kryt0n said:
I can't believe I have just noticed I didn't pay my tax for 2012! I worked mid Nov till Dec (paid tax so likely OWED it all back!). I filed for the whole 2013 and 2014. Hmmm.... well... gonna be doing that soon! At least according to the CRA website they max fines at 12 months, so if they owe me and fine me, it should cancel out ;).....actually quite annoyed at myself!
Unless you have outstanding balance on tax returns. you don't need to file it if you don't owe CRA tax money. But it's always good to file tax even if you don't need to.

If you do need to file and you owe them money, prepare for penalties and interests.

Reactions: shaizeik

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
mf4361 said:
Unless you have outstanding balance on tax returns. you don't need to file it if you don't owe CRA tax money. But it's always good to file tax even if you don't need to.

If you do need to file and you owe them money, prepare for penalties and interests.
Reassuring, thank you :D

I'll double check, but as I only want about $2000 for 2012 and paid 'full' tax, in theory they would refund that so I'm guessing all's good :)

I was so careful with the others!! :p

samister

Jul 25, 2017
Hi,

What is the update on your PR application?

As I'm in the same boat as you were, curious to know the result.

Thanks!!

QUOTE="Jessicagirl, post: 5649069, member: 644534"]Hi All,

My current score is 486 and I'm in the process of applying and creating my CIC profile. I've explained my situation below and have a few questions. Kindly help:

I worked on Working Holiday Visa in Canada for 2 years from 2013 to 2015. Post this as I was in a relationship with someone I stayed back on a visitor visa which expired in 2016 September. However, I failed to notice the same and overstayed in Canada. I left Canada 2 weeks ago and returned to my home country- Ireland. I now want to apply for immigration and as my score is 486, I'm sure looking at the trend I'll soon receive an invite.

Questions:

Thank You[/QUOTE]

ipaykwai

Aug 10, 2013
manila
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
-06-2019
Nomination.....
-02-2019
AOR Received.
-06-2019
Med's Request
10-2019
Passport Req..
14-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
21-04-2022
LANDED..........
2-04-2022
Hello same situation here... i overstayed in Canada in the past but got nominated and now my application is in progress. does this overstaying record has an impact on PR application? is there any proof or good explanation that we can adhere just in case CIC gives a negative impact on the application because of overstaying in the past? Overstay but good taxpayer, no criminal/ traffic citations.

Thanks. :) :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello same situation here... i overstayed in Canada in the past but got nominated and now my application is in progress. does this overstaying record has an impact on PR application? is there any proof or good explanation that we can adhere just in case CIC gives a negative impact on the application because of overstaying in the past? Overstay but good taxpayer, no criminal/ traffic citations.

Thanks. :) :)
No issues as long as you were honest in your PR application (i.e. were honest about the overstay) and assuming you aren't still in Canada without status.

ipaykwai

Aug 10, 2013
manila
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
-06-2019
Nomination.....
-02-2019
AOR Received.
-06-2019
Med's Request
10-2019
Passport Req..
14-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
21-04-2022
LANDED..........
2-04-2022
No issues as long as you were honest in your PR application (i.e. were honest about the overstay) and assuming you aren't still in Canada without status.
Yes I declared everything in my PR application, as a matter of fact I tried to applied for work permit (using PNP support letter lmia exempt), last year and got refused because of the overstay. That is why i've got confused and worried when it comes to my PR application that is now on going. I left in Canada voluntarily.I am here in my home country when I applied for PR.
May I ask what will be the good of explanation why overstaying does not have an impact in PR application, while on my work permit application, I got refused because of that?

Thanks for the response.

Last edited:

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Yes I declared everything in my PR application, as a matter of fact I tried to applied for work permit (using support letter lmia exempt), last year and got refused because of that overstay. That is why i've got confused and worried when it comes to my PR application that is now on going. I left in Canada voluntarily.
May I ask what will be the good of explanation why overstaying does not have an impact in PR application, while on my work permt application, I got refused because of that?

Thanks for the response.
A work permit is a temporary status, which means there has to be a reasonable basis to conclude you will leave the country when your permit expires. A previous overstay would affect that determination.

Because the whole point of permanent residency is to grant it to people who want to reside in the country permanently, overstaying does not become an issue as long as you properly disclose it in your application, as they are now conferring permanent status to you.

You can always address it in your LOE and express remorse for it.

ipaykwai

Aug 10, 2013
manila
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
-06-2019
Nomination.....
-02-2019
AOR Received.
-06-2019
Med's Request
10-2019
Passport Req..
14-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
21-04-2022
LANDED..........
2-04-2022
A work permit is a temporary status, which means there has to be a reasonable basis to conclude you will leave the country when your permit expires. A previous overstay would affect that determination.

Because the whole point of permanent residency is to grant it to people who want to reside in the country permanently, overstaying does not become an issue as long as you properly disclose it in your application, as they are now conferring permanent status to you.

You can always address it in your LOE and express remorse for it.
Thank you very much for the good explanation. I include it in my LOE (both WP and PR app). and express my sincere apology on the mistake.

ipaykwai

Aug 10, 2013
manila
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
-06-2019
Nomination.....
-02-2019
AOR Received.
-06-2019
Med's Request
10-2019
Passport Req..
14-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
21-04-2022
LANDED..........
2-04-2022
hi @scylla , i have a pm for you. thanks

Adnan_990

Star Member
Jan 10, 2024

Hello, I am in the same boat, I came as an international student and didn’t start studying upon my arrival, I had to wait for a year because I changed my program, during that time I worked
So technically I stayed and did unauthorized work for one year
Now I got my ITA and I am going to apply for pr, do I have to explain ?

Adnan_990

Star Member
Jan 10, 2024
Hell
Hello, I am in the same boat, can you please update me how did your pr application go ? Did they give you hard time for that period ?