+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Overstay, does it matter for future entry?

FastestFinger

Mar 26, 2009
Hi everyone, straight to the point. I've been in Canada for a year and something and tried almost everything to extend my stay but with the current economy situation and so on I've had no success whatsoever. I'm thinking of going back to my home country and apply for PR in Quebec but currently lack the money to do so. The question is: if I stay a little bit longer than my visa permits and try to save some money and then go back, will that backfire against me in my future application? Thank you in advance for your help :)

helios

Star Member
Oct 30, 2009
FastestFinger said:
Hi everyone, straight to the point. I've been in Canada for a year and something and tried almost everything to extend my stay but with the current economy situation and so on I've had no success whatsoever. I'm thinking of going back to my home country and apply for PR in Quebec but currently lack the money to do so. The question is: if I stay a little bit longer than my visa permits and try to save some money and then go back, will that backfire against me in my future application? Thank you in advance for your help :)
There are typically 3 types of removal orders ranked in severity:
  • Departure - No effect on future return to Canada
  • Exclusion - 1 or 2 year ban from entry into Canada
  • Deportation - Permanent ban from entry into Canada (there are exceptions)

Until you receive one of such orders, it means your overstay have not been noticed by CIC. Note that a departure order may easily turn into a deportation order should one fail to comply within 30 days.

helios

Star Member
Oct 30, 2009
FastestFinger said:
Thank you so much! I suppose in future application I should state that I left on time, right?
General rule of thumb, If they don't ask for it. Don't tell them anything!