+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Overstay dilemma

FastestFinger

Mar 26, 2009
My story in short: came to BC with a work and study permits, liked Canada and tried everything to extend my stay but couldn't, my plane ticket for back home expired, overstayed in order to save up some money, learn French and try immigrating the right way. Going back soon and planning to apply for QSW. I collect enough points and everything. "Only" thing that worries me is the overstaying. When you fill out the application forms they ask of you to state all the countries you've lived in the past 10 years. And thus the dilemma: Should I be honest and explain if given the chance or....?
Any advice is highly appreciated. Thank you.

mpapdp.1984

Oct 27, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-11-2008
AOR Received.
18-03-2009
File Transfer...
27-10-2009
Med's Request
16-04-2010
Med's Done....
29-04-2010 (Reached Ottawa May 4 2010)
Interview........
waived
FastestFinger said:
My story in short: came to BC with a work and study permits, liked Canada and tried everything to extend my stay but couldn't, my plane ticket for back home expired, overstayed in order to save up some money, learn French and try immigrating the right way. Going back soon and planning to apply for QSW. I collect enough points and everything. "Only" thing that worries me is the overstaying. When you fill out the application forms they ask of you to state all the countries you've lived in the past 10 years. And thus the dilemma: Should I be honest and explain if given the chance or....?
You can run but you can't hide. Better be honest and explain everything in your application.

googleman

Star Member
Mar 24, 2010
FastestFinger said:
it depends on the length of your overstay. Was it a few months or over a year? I think there's a line on the app asking if you have ever violated the terms of your visa. If yes, you have to explain the situation.

Ice Cube

Dec 20, 2009
FastestFinger,
they have your records in thier system. your arrival and departure dates. If you were deported, that is also there in the system. There is a section where all these questions are asked in the forms. Attach a letter explaining all that you have to say. I think you will be alright. Do not worry. If you were ever rejected visa to Canada, that would could been an issue.
Ice cube

FastestFinger

Mar 26, 2009
Thank you everyone for the advice. I was leaning towards honesty but some people said I didn't stand a chance. My overstay will be about 11 months. I know it's a lot but I'll try my best to explain why it happened and hopefully CIC will acknowledge my honesty and the efforts I'm making to learn French and come back to Canada and start a family here.
Thanks again, you have given me a lot of hope.