+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Overnight Hotel stay with VH-1 visa with single entry

bhargava_v

Jul 12, 2024
I am traveling from London Heathrow through Toronto Airport to United States. I have applied and got VH 1 transit visa with single entry. My connection to US flight is overnight so I booked an hotel room in the Mariott in T3 where I land and board the flights. Will I be allowed to go past immigration to stay in the hotel overnight and come back and catch my connection the following day. I searched for posts about VH 1 visa and all were pre Covid posts so want to know any recent experiences or examples.
Thank you for your time to read and respond.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am traveling from London Heathrow through Toronto Airport to United States. I have applied and got VH 1 transit visa with single entry. My connection to US flight is overnight so I booked an hotel room in the Mariott in T3 where I land and board the flights. Will I be allowed to go past immigration to stay in the hotel overnight and come back and catch my connection the following day. I searched for posts about VH 1 visa and all were pre Covid posts so want to know any recent experiences or examples.
You need a visitor visa. A transit visa only allows you to get transfer between flights. You cannot leave the immigration area. You stay in the transit area overnight.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You cannot pass through immigration. You have to stay in the transit area of the airport. Unfortunately the hotel won't be possible.

bhargava_v

Jul 12, 2024
You need a visitor visa. A transit visa only allows you to get transfer between flights. You cannot leave the immigration area. You stay in the transit area overnight.
I saw some posts from 2018/2019 saying they were allowed to leave do you know if the rules were changed recently?thank you both for your quick responses in other web forums like quora and trip advisor there are posts suggesting we can go to the hotel but I assume they are not trustworthy. I have one other question hopefully you can answer. My connection between Toronto and Chicago is landing in a Domestic Terminal (American Airlines) so I assume the immigration and customs will be done in Toronto if so do I have to claim the baggage for customs and return to the airlines or will the customs be done via a computer similar to Abu Dhabi so I don’t have to claim the baggage and return it.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I saw some posts from 2018/2019 saying they were allowed to leave do you know if the rules were changed recently?thank you both for your quick responses in other web forums like quora and trip advisor there are posts suggesting we can go to the hotel but I assume they are not trustworthy. I have one other question hopefully you can answer. My connection between Toronto and Chicago is landing in a Domestic Terminal (American Airlines) so I assume the immigration and customs will be done in Toronto if so do I have to claim the baggage for customs and return to the airlines or will the customs be done via a computer similar to Abu Dhabi so I don’t have to claim the baggage and return it.
I'm not at all aware of the rules having changed.

Immigration will be done in Toronto. Yes, you will need to claim your baggage since this is your first port of entry into Canada.

bhargava_v

Jul 12, 2024
Hi I completed my travel and back here to share my experience so it might help others in future.
After landing in Toronto as we had overnight connection they said I cannot go to connections terminal instead asked to go to Arrivals where we entered our details in the electronic machines before the immigration. As we have overnight connection I just entered number of days of stay as 1 day it printed a slip took it and then did baggage claim and passed through immigration and went to the Terminal 3 Hotel. So they did allow us out of security area and into the hotel from where we could free to go to anywhere. They didn’t checkin back my luggage as the connection flight is the following day. So took it with us to Hotel and stored there.
The following morning took the baggage and went to ticketing counter and gave the baggage back went through airport security followed by American CBP and then to the gate. As expected landed in domestic terminal in USA and came out picked baggage and left.
So biggest learning don’t have to be inside the airport if we have transit visa.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi I completed my travel and back here to share my experience so it might help others in future.
After landing in Toronto as we had overnight connection they said I cannot go to connections terminal instead asked to go to Arrivals where we entered our details in the electronic machines before the immigration. As we have overnight connection I just entered number of days of stay as 1 day it printed a slip took it and then did baggage claim and passed through immigration and went to the Terminal 3 Hotel. So they did allow us out of security area and into the hotel from where we could free to go to anywhere. They didn’t checkin back my luggage as the connection flight is the following day. So took it with us to Hotel and stored there.
The following morning took the baggage and went to ticketing counter and gave the baggage back went through airport security followed by American CBP and then to the gate. As expected landed in domestic terminal in USA and came out picked baggage and left.
So biggest learning don’t have to be inside the airport if we have transit visa.

“So biggest learning don’t have to be inside the airport if we have transit visa”

They cut you a deal . Transit is what it means . You transit . You shouldn’t assume it’ll always be that way

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As mentioned you just got lucky. You could have also ended up in immigration detention until your connecting flight

Reactions: forevermore76