+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Outside Canada for the Citizenship Oath Ceremony

abny876

Feb 8, 2017
Hello Everyone,

This is bit of a silly question but I have to ask to ascertain.

I am currently in the US and my Canadian citizenship application has been processed and my oath is in progress.

My oath is scheduled for the 30th of March and I am guessing we get the invitation email a week before the oath.

My question is do I have to be in Canada ‘at the time’ I receive the invitation for the citizenship ceremony. I am happy to travel to Canada on the 30th of March for the Oath and the Ceremony. I know mostly likely it will be a virtual ceremony so I will attend it from Toronto. The CIC website says that at the time of invitation if we are not in Canada we have to let them know. I am confused because I am willing to travel for the ceremony.

Also I have my PR card but don’t have my Confirmation of Permanent Residence. I think I might have lost it. Will a PR card, Health Card and my stamped passport be sufficient in the ceremony.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

eiden03

Star Member
Feb 18, 2019
Hello Everyone,

I am currently in the US and my Canadian citizenship application has been processed and my oath is in progress.

My oath is scheduled for the 30th of March and I am guessing we get the invitation email a week before the oath.

My question is do I have to be in Canada ‘at the time’ I receive the invitation for the citizenship ceremony. I am happy to travel to Canada on the 30th of March for the Oath and the Ceremony. I know mostly likely it will be a virtual ceremony so I will attend it from Toronto. The CIC website says that at the time of invitation if we are not in Canada we have to let them know. I am confused because I am willing to travel for the ceremony.

Also I have my PR card but don’t have my Confirmation of Permanent Residence. I think I might have lost it. Will a PR card, Health Card and my stamped passport be sufficient in the ceremony.

Thanks a lot!
You don't have to be in Canada when you receive the email but you must ensure to attend the ceremony on March 30th in Canada. Don't worry, when they say to inform them if you are not in Canada at the time of the invitation applies only if you cannot make it back in time for the ceremony.

You do not need your Confirmation of Permanent Residence. You'll be grant.

Congrats!

Samlia

Aug 29, 2014
Hello Everyone,

Thanks a lot!
Did you take Oath Outside Canada or you came back to Canada for it. I am in similar situation and need some guidance. Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Did you take Oath Outside Canada or you came back to Canada for it. I am in similar situation and need some guidance. Thanks
You need to be physically in Canada when you take the oath.