+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Out of status or not?

Accountingdude2893

Star Member
Jun 15, 2019
Hi guys,
I am currently applying for a study permit extension ( I applied for it 1 month before expiration date of my current permit). My questions is if it is rejected by IRCC, does that mean I will be instantly out of status and have to leave Canada right away?

My current permit is already expired, and I have a visitor visa that is gonna expire at the end of the year (Dec 24)

Some people told me that I could reapply for a complete new study permit and some told me I need to either apply for a visitor record or going home to reapply for a new study permit. Could someone shed some light on this please?

Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi guys,
I am currently applying for a study permit extension ( I applied for it 1 month before expiration date of my current permit). My questions is if it is rejected by IRCC, does that mean I will be instantly out of status and have to leave Canada right away?

My current permit is already expired, and I have a visitor visa that is gonna expire at the end of the year (Dec 24)

Some people told me that I could reapply for a complete new study permit and some told me I need to either apply for a visitor record or going home to reapply for a new study permit. Could someone shed some light on this please?

Thank you!
You will be out of status in Canada instantly if your extension is refused. You would then need to apply to restore your status. Why are you concerned that the extension is going to be refused?

Reactions: Accountingdude2893

Accountingdude2893

Star Member
Jun 15, 2019
You will be out of status in Canada instantly if your extension is refused. You would then need to apply to restore your status. Why are you concerned that the extension is going to be refused?
I violated the study permit's conditions by not taking full-time courses for 3 semesters. I am just not sure if I have the right to re-apply within Canada or I need to leave the country to re-apply since I would be technically out of status if it is rejected, but thank you for your response!!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I violated the study permit's conditions by not taking full-time courses for 3 semesters. I am just not sure if I have the right to re-apply within Canada or I need to leave the country to re-apply since I would be technically out of status if it is rejected, but thank you for your response!!!
The only option would be to try to restore your status to a study permit from within Canada. Otherwise you would need to leave Canada and apply from outside of Canada.

Reactions: Accountingdude2893

Accountingdude2893

Star Member
Jun 15, 2019
The only option would be to try to restore your status to a study permit from within Canada. Otherwise you would need to leave Canada and apply from outside of Canada.
According to my knowledge, I could only restore my status if it is within the period of 3 months since expiration date of my current permit. So once again, I would be in quite a grey area if this rejection takes place out of this 3 months period because I would not be eligible even to restore my status if that is the case, or I am missing something here?