+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Out of status, application for restoration and awaiting PR approval.

Customer101

Aug 13, 2024
Hi everyone,

I am in the middle of a crisis.

I missed applying for work permit extension or BWP as I was waiting for my PR, which I was hoping to get a result soon. Upon realizing that my work permit expired, I mailed out an application for restoration of status and a new work permit to the Case Processing Centre in Edmonton (on-paper application was the only option). As I was 'out of status', I received from the Case Agent an email noting that they are unable to make a decision on my PR application (OINP) because of my status. For PR, I passed the medical exam on August 5, and biometric is completed on March 5 (They forgot to send me a medical examination letter for about 2 months and ended up re-sending it when I investigated it via a phone call). They asked me if I have a proof of whether I departed Canada or am planning to do so. I informed that I applied for a restoration of status and waiting, thus I continue to stay in Canada.

It has been almost a month since I mailed out my ROS application to Edmonton. I still have now received an acknowledgment email from them. I am curious:
  1. Are PR agent going to wait on the decision until I re-gain a status in Canada?
  2. Can my PR application be failed because of my status?
  3. Processing time for ROS is (of course) long. Has anyone gone through that process?

My timeline:
  • Work permit expiry: July 7 - I work full-time. Stop working once I realized.
  • Restoration of status application mail-out: July 15
  • PR email regarding my status: August 9, 2024.