+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Out of status and cashing last pay cheque?

bbarker

Feb 2, 2019
Hello most helpful forum!

My partner was on a one-year open work permit and I am sponsoring him for PR, we had his apps returned to us in April and by that time he was out of status and we had to resubmit to restore his status blah blah.. you know the story. My question is does IRCC look into if they are still working at all? Has anyone been audited or anything? He stopped working immediately after the app was returned, and a couple of weeks later his employer gave him his last pay cheque which we cashed, and just today his old office realized they didn't pay him his "car allowance" and he's worried about cashing the new cheque. I was thinking he could sign it over to me and I could cash it but I'm not sure how IRCC checks up on applicants who are out of status to make sure they're not working (if they do at all???) and I wouldn't us to get in trouble!!

Thanks!!

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
If he earned the money while he was still in legal status, there's no issue with cashing the check.

Reactions: bbarker

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
CIC realizes that most companies hVe pay periods so you could be paid for work you did 2 weeks ago. You are fine to cash the cheque.

Reactions: bbarker