+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Options while waiting for PR

Posu68

Dec 18, 2018
Hi there!

So me and my fiancé have recently moved to the UK (I'm English she's Canadian), we met while I was in Canada on a working holiday visa. Our plan was to move here and settle down, however she is finding life here much more difficult than she thought she would and is really struggling to adjust. She is now talking of wanting to move back to Canada, which I have absolutely no problem with as I loved my time there.

My problem is that it can take a year for me to apply for permanent residence and she is thinking of moving back and living apart for that time. After looking online at bridging visa options it seems that I'd still need to be in Canada and have time left on my visa to apply for one, my visa does run until the end of January but with Christmas coming up it doesn't seem like enough time for me to get back there and complete an application. So I suppose my question is if anyone has any kind of idea what my options from here could be? I'd really appreciate any kind of help as I love her and it's so difficult to see her being so unhappy.

Gargoyle_Queen

Star Member
Dec 15, 2018
dont put stess on you and your
Hi there!

So me and my fiancé have recently moved to the UK (I'm English she's Canadian), we met while I was in Canada on a working holiday visa. Our plan was to move here and settle down, however she is finding life here much more difficult than she thought she would and is really struggling to adjust. She is now talking of wanting to move back to Canada, which I have absolutely no problem with as I loved my time there.

My problem is that it can take a year for me to apply for permanent residence and she is thinking of moving back and living apart for that time. After looking online at bridging visa options it seems that I'd still need to be in Canada and have time left on my visa to apply for one, my visa does run until the end of January but with Christmas coming up it doesn't seem like enough time for me to get back there and complete an application. So I suppose my question is if anyone has any kind of idea what my options from here could be? I'd really appreciate any kind of help as I love her and it's so difficult to see her being so unhappy.
i think doing an outland application for sponsorship is the better way (not sure , someone correct me )...or you can travel to canada and do visa extension and open work-permit with inland sponsorship , if u have proof of common-law relationship, good luck

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there!

FYI - Bridging Open Work Permit only applies if you hold a valid work permit AND your application has been accepted under an economic immigration program like Express Entry. So unfortunately not feasible in your situation - you don't meet the requirements.

Easiest option is for both of you to return to Canada and for her to sponsor you for PR using the inland process once you are either married (or if you have lived together for a year and are common law). You would include an open work permit application with the sponsorship application. The OWP will be approved around four months after you submit the complete application package.

Otherwise you're looking at getting a job offer and approved LMIA from an employer in Canada so that you can obtain a closed work permit. This tends to be very difficult to do (i.e. find employers willing to go through the LMIA process).

Reactions: schweisy