+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open wrok permit application process

anns

Oct 1, 2012
Hi

I am currently in Canada with 'Visitor' status (ICT/Work Permit Dependent) and I am eligible to apply for Spousal OWP. I applied for OWP (inland and online) on Sep 3. Could someone help me with applicaion process.

When applied I got a message from CIC informing 'After CIC processes your Online Application, you will receive a document with a client identification number (client ID)'. Is that all? or do I have to wait more for receiving the actual OWP?

I already have a client id for my Visitor status. From the current processing time I can understand CIC starts processing my application sometime by Oct end. From then onwards how long does it really take for the entire process to be completed?

Currently my application is one among the other Work Permit applications. There was no space to mention it is an 'Open' WP when i appied it online. I half expected mine to be processed faster compared to other WP applications because its an Open WP and i applied online and inland. Is that the case?

Please advise

Peaches14

Star Member
Aug 29, 2012
Hamilton, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville transferred to Hamilton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-03-2012
Doc's Request.
None requested but sent them anyway
AOR Received.
29-06-2012
File Transfer...
October 1, 2012
Med's Done....
21-02-2012
You need the actual Work Permit as you will need to go to Service Canada with this to get your temporary social insurance number, then you can work.

anns

Oct 1, 2012
Thanks for the reply.

So you meant once i get my Client Id i need to wait more to get my actual WP with which I need to goto the Sevice Canada to get my SIN no?

Peaches14

Star Member
Aug 29, 2012
Hamilton, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-03-2012
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
29-06-2012
File Transfer...
October 1, 2012
Med's Done....
21-02-2012
Yes. This is the reason why they advise you to send an application for an open work permit at the same time as your sponsorship and pr application, because then there won't be that extra waiting time for the actual document. You can trying call the CIC to see if it has been mailed.

anns

Oct 1, 2012
I still have not recieved my client id. Can I try with my existing client id - the one of my 'Visitor' status? I tried calling CIC many times but it doesnt go through at all says 'all agents are busy'.

Going through the processing time i can see currently the applications submitted on Jul 28 are being processed. Mine was submitted on Sep 3.

So can I expect to receive a client id before they start processing of my application?

Does the '54 days processing time' mean the time I need to wait before they even open my application?

Peaches14

Star Member
Aug 29, 2012
Hamilton, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-03-2012
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
29-06-2012
File Transfer...
October 1, 2012
Med's Done....
21-02-2012
I cannot help with you processing times regarding work permits. That is something only the CIC can help you with. Was there not a section in that work permit application you completed asking for your current client ID#? If you hold a valid visitor document then that has your client ID number on it. As far as I know, your client ID number remains the same throughout the entire process.

frenchie57

Star Member
May 7, 2012
Calgary
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-11-2011
Med's Done....
10-11-2011
LANDED..........
22-11-2012
anns said:
Hi

I am currently in Canada with 'Visitor' status (ICT/Work Permit Dependent) and I am eligible to apply for Spousal OWP. I applied for OWP (inland and online) on Sep 3. Could someone help me with applicaion process.

When applied I got a message from CIC informing 'After CIC processes your Online Application, you will receive a document with a client identification number (client ID)'. Is that all? or do I have to wait more for receiving the actual OWP?

I already have a client id for my Visitor status. From the current processing time I can understand CIC starts processing my application sometime by Oct end. From then onwards how long does it really take for the entire process to be completed?

Currently my application is one among the other Work Permit applications. There was no space to mention it is an 'Open' WP when i appied it online. I half expected mine to be processed faster compared to other WP applications because its an Open WP and i applied online and inland. Is that the case?

Please advise
Hi,

Did you receive your ID ? or your work permit ?
Do you have any news ?