+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work Permit

brazu

Jul 7, 2009
What exactley is an open work permit? Is there a specific form for it? Is it only granted to spouses of people who already have a WP? I am a Canadian citizen and my husband is here on a Temprary Resdient Permit and has an Inland Sousal Sponsorship in process and am trying to figure out how to he applies for a WP. He has a letter of offer of employment but does this employer have to do the HRDC stuff?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

brazu said:
What exactley is an open work permit? Is there a specific form for it? Is it only granted to spouses of people who already have a WP? I am a Canadian citizen and my husband is here on a Temprary Resdient Permit and has an Inland Sousal Sponsorship in process and am trying to figure out how to he applies for a WP. He has a letter of offer of employment but does this employer have to do the HRDC stuff?
He will not be eligible for an open work permit until he receives first level approval of the spousal application from Vegreville. He should have include a request for an open work permit with the sponsorship application.
If he has an offer of employment, then the employer must get an LMO from HRSDC.

PMM

brazu

Jul 7, 2009
The spousal sponsorship doesn't really apply right now. He was removed from Canada while it was in process. We have to wait till his return to find out what is happening with that even though our lawyer and MP have told us it will still be in process. He had a TRP granted to return after 7 weeks gone and I would like to know how someone who has a TRP optains a WP. The interviewing officer told him to make sure he applys for one as soon as he returns becuase he had been working without one before he was removed.