+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work Permit while On Work Permit through Sponsoship

MattBurnes

Oct 17, 2016
Hey guys,

I have 2 quick question and I would appreciate any help/hint on this :)

I'm married to a Canadian citizen (I'm german; live in Canada; with her) and we are in the process of
applying for spousal sponsorship. Currently I'm on an existing work permit - which however
will expire in about 4 months.

1) Can I already apply for an open work permit through the spousal application or would it be rejected
since I already have a work permit?

2) We are planing and saving up for a big destination wedding in Mexico next year (we only had a small
ceremony in Canada) -> The application won't have made it through until the wedding date - which is
already set and deposits have been paid. Can I (as the applicant being sponsored from within Canada)
leave Canada for about 2 weeks for the wedding while the application is being processed without
fearing being rejected back at the border?

Thanks for any hints :)
Matt

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
MattBurnes said:
1) Can I already apply for an open work permit through the spousal application or would it be rejected since I already have a work permit?
You can apply for the OWP, if your application is being made inland. Outland does not have an OWP associated. The OWP will take 4 months to process anyway, so I doubt there will be any issue with respect to overlap.

MattBurnes said:
2) We are planing and saving up for a big destination wedding in Mexico next year (we only had a small
ceremony in Canada) -> The application won't have made it through until the wedding date - which is
already set and deposits have been paid. Can I (as the applicant being sponsored from within Canada)
leave Canada for about 2 weeks for the wedding while the application is being processed without
fearing being rejected back at the border?
Therein lies the problem, CBSA. It is totally up to the CBSA Officer's discretion to deny or permit (re)entry into Canada. If you bring your PR application (or the AOR at least) with you, and your work permit you might be ok. Being from a non-visa requiring country would strengthen your case.