+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work Permit vs. LMIA sponsored Work Permit

MattBurnes

Oct 17, 2016
Hey guys,

I'm in the lucky position to have the choice between an open work permit due to our Spousal Sponsorship or a work permit sponsored through a positive LMIA. I already got the LMIA but im expecting the OWP within the next 4-5 weeks (hopefully). I'm not in a rush and can easily wait until my OWP arrives if necessary.

But I can't decide which would be the better option for me. While the LMIA option gives me one more route to PR in case something goes wrong with the sponsorship or at least a faster process(?) the OWP gives me a greater flexibility and more leverage when it comes to negotiations.

Im not really worried about the Spousal Sponsorship as its a perfectly legitimate relationship with more than enough proof and I have multiple job offers at this time - so I'm leaning towards the OWP. BUT, what happens if for whatever reason the sponsorship app gets rejected? Will the OWP expire immediately after or until the stated expiration date? I wouldn't want to go through another LMIA process if I had to.

Just a worried camper here who wants to go the safest route :).

I also calculated my express entry points and even with the LMIA I barely make it (with a B. Sc. Degree, 1+ years of work experience in Canada already etc.) so even if I went with the express entry + LMIA option Im worried it would take ages to be picked.

Any hints, recommendations?

Thanks!
Matt

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
MattBurnes said:
Hey guys,

I'm in the lucky position to have the choice between an open work permit due to our Spousal Sponsorship or a work permit sponsored through a positive LMIA. I already got the LMIA but im expecting the OWP within the next 4-5 weeks (hopefully). I'm not in a rush and can easily wait until my OWP arrives if necessary.

But I can't decide which would be the better option for me. While the LMIA option gives me one more route to PR in case something goes wrong with the sponsorship or at least a faster process(?) the OWP gives me a greater flexibility and more leverage when it comes to negotiations.

Im not really worried about the Spousal Sponsorship as its a perfectly legitimate relationship with more than enough proof and I have multiple job offers at this time - so I'm leaning towards the OWP. BUT, what happens if for whatever reason the sponsorship app gets rejected? Will the OWP expire immediately after or until the stated expiration date? I wouldn't want to go through another LMIA process if I had to.

Just a worried camper here who wants to go the safest route :).

I also calculated my express entry points and even with the LMIA I barely make it (with a B. Sc. Degree, 1+ years of work experience in Canada already etc.) so even if I went with the express entry + LMIA option Im worried it would take ages to be picked.

Any hints, recommendations?

Thanks!
Matt
OWP expires on the day listed on the permit. They issue OWPs for the length of (earliest of): passport validity - 1 mnth OR 2 years.

aswoodburn

Apr 1, 2017
Hey Matt. Wondering if you received the OWP yet and if so, can you let me know how long it took from submitting your PR app?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
aswoodburn said:
Hey Matt. Wondering if you received the OWP yet and if so, can you let me know how long it took from submitting your PR app?
It takes about 4 months after submission to receive the OWP.