+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work Permit questions

bitsai

May 5, 2010
Hello,

My wife is a university professor in Edmonton, while I currently work in NYC. Both of us are US citizens. I just got a job offer in Edmonton, but that is conditional on my getting a work permit by July 15th. I was told that the best way to achieve this is to apply for an Open Work Permit, since my wife has an NOC Skill Level A profession.

Which form(s) do I need to fill out to apply for an Open Work Permit? And which papers do I need to submit along with the form(s)? I've been poring over the CIC website, but have not been able to locate this information. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
bitsai said:
Hello,

My wife is a university professor in Edmonton, while I currently work in NYC. Both of us are US citizens. I just got a job offer in Edmonton, but that is conditional on my getting a work permit by July 15th. I was told that the best way to achieve this is to apply for an Open Work Permit, since my wife has an NOC Skill Level A profession.

Which form(s) do I need to fill out to apply for an Open Work Permit? And which papers do I need to submit along with the form(s)? I've been poring over the CIC website, but have not been able to locate this information. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
Since you do not need TRV to enter Canada, you can probably obtain your OWP at the POE. Have a copy of your wife's WP and MC.

Sorry can't get official CIC info. http://www.canadaworkvisa.ca/info/faq.php#13

Spousal Work Permits

Your spouse (husband, wife or common-law partner) may qualify for a work permit without the need for a job confirmation from Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC). Your spouse may apply for a HRSDC exempt work permit if you meet the following two requirements:

1. You must have a Canada work permit that is valid for six months or longer.
2. The job for which you have a work permit must meet a minimum skill level (such as requiring a college diploma) and must be listed as Skill Level O, A or B in the National Occupational Classification.

If you fulfill these two requirements your spouse may apply for an open work permit. An open work permit will allow your spouse to accept any job in Canada that does not require a medical exam.

Your spouse's work permit will be valid for the same period as your Canada work permit.

bitsai

May 5, 2010
Thank you for the info and the link, job_seeker :) I imagine you're right, that I can probably take care of this at the POE. Still, I'd like to apply and have the OWP in hand before quitting my current job and moving, for that additional peace of mind.

job_seeker said:
Have a copy of your wife's WP and MC.
Just to make sure I understand you correctly, here you are referring to my wife's work permit and our marriage certificate?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
bitsai said:
Thank you for the info and the link, job_seeker :) I imagine you're right, that I can probably take care of this at the POE. Still, I'd like to apply and have the OWP in hand before quitting my current job and moving, for that additional peace of mind.

Just to make sure I understand you correctly, here you are referring to my wife's work permit and our marriage certificate?
Yes, your wife's work permit and your marriage certificate . Have a copy of these and pay your wife a visit before giving up your present job :). Show the same at POE.

bitsai

May 5, 2010
Not a bad idea :) Unfortunately, I don't have many vacation days left, so I could only go for a weekend, and I'm not flush enough with spare cash to justify flying up there just for the OWP and one weekend...

I think I'd still like to take care of this at the Canadian Visa Office in NYC. What form(s), if any, should I fill out and bring with me, and what documents should I bring in addition to a copy of my wife's work permit, marriage certificate, and (I'm guessing) my passport?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
bitsai said:
Not a bad idea :) Unfortunately, I don't have many vacation days left, so I could only go for a weekend, and I'm not flush enough with spare cash to justify flying up there just for the OWP and one weekend...

I think I'd still like to take care of this at the Canadian Visa Office in NYC. What form(s), if any, should I fill out and bring with me, and what documents should I bring in addition to a copy of my wife's work permit, marriage certificate, and (I'm guessing) my passport?
Yup, your passport to prove your status in the US :)
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/new_york/imm/permit_work-travail_permis.aspx?lang=eng#REQUIR
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM1295B.PDF
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5488E.PDF
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/5487E.PDF

But you don't need a visa to enter Canada (A TRV is what CIC-NYC will give you). You obtain the work permit at POE. Go early and if they'll issue you a TRV you can have it stamped on your passport when you go home. All the best.

bitsai

May 5, 2010
Went to the Visa Office today. Thanks to your helpful pointers, I was ready with all the documents they requested, and the application went very quickly and smoothly. Thank you for your help!