+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open work permit for protected person spouse ( outside canada)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Reactions: kumarkit

Hws24

Star Member
Mar 15, 2019
I am in Canada and my spouse outside, he applied for open work permit in 2021 and was rejected. Just sharing my experiences.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

I'm under protected person status in Canada. As I checked this site, it says my spouse(outside Canada) can apply for open work permit.
Does anyone can share if you already applied or know about the procedures?

Thanks.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=177&top=17
Your wife will not qualify for an OWP from outside Canada. Surprised to see you can apply while inside Canada but this may only be if the family is receiving welfare to get you off of welfare and financially self-sufficient If your spouse applies for an OWP from inside Canada you need to be prepared for both approval or refusal. Once she secured PR she will be able to come and work in Canada. She can attempt to get a TRV to try to visit while waiting for PR but the chances of approval are pretty low.

In reality most spouses must wait until their parter gets PR to join them in Canada which will take around 2 years. The protected person’s PR gets processed first and then the apouse’s application for PR gets processed after. When I see the recent interviews saying asylum are coming to Canada because there is quick reunifications with family members I wonder who is spreading this false information. People will be shocked when they discover the reality.

Reactions: kumarkit and Hws24

Hws24

Star Member
Mar 15, 2019
Your wife will not qualify for an OWP from outside Canada. Surprised to see you can apply while inside Canada but this may only be if the family is receiving welfare to get you off of welfare and financially self-sufficient If your spouse applies for an OWP from inside Canada you need to be prepared for both approval or refusal. Once she secured PR she will be able to come and work in Canada. She can attempt to get a TRV to try to visit while waiting for PR but the chances of approval are pretty low.

In reality most spouses must wait until their parter gets PR to join them in Canada which will take around 2 years. The protected person’s PR gets processed first and then the apouse’s application for PR gets processed after. When I see the recent interviews saying asylum are coming to Canada because there is quick reunifications with family members I wonder who is spreading this false information. People will be shocked when they discover the reality.
I second what you said , I have tried visit visa, WP, all rejected and we have been separated for 5 years and still waiting!

cyberlink

Aug 10, 2020
I second what you said , I have tried visit visa, WP, all rejected and we have been separated for 5 years and still waiting!
Only chance is putting her in your pr application, this is the dark side of refugee claim, no outside canada family until you get your pr status.