+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work Permit for Outland Spousal Sponsorship Applicants

jackie1524

Sep 12, 2017
I submitted my wife's spousal sponsorship application two months ago, she is still living outside of Canada (never come to Canada), not with me. I am now wondering if I can apply for an Open Work Permit. After checking on CIC website, I only find information about in-land open work permit application under the spousal sponsorship, but not outland. Does anyone know if I am ok to use the in-land open work permit application for this case? Thank you!

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
I submitted my wife's spousal sponsorship application two months ago, she is still living outside of Canada (never come to Canada), not with me. I am now wondering if I can apply for an Open Work Permit. After checking on CIC website, I only find information about in-land open work permit application under the spousal sponsorship, but not outland. Does anyone know if I am ok to use the in-land open work permit application for this case? Thank you!
The open work permit is only applicable for inland applications.

jackie1524

Sep 12, 2017
Thank you Kcward7. I found it is awkward that the correspondence email from CIC sates that ' Dear XXX, This is refers to your application for permanent residence under the Family Class or under the Spouse or Common-law partner in Canada Class.' Does it mean I can still apply for the open work permit as a inland applicant even my wife is still outside of Canada? Thank you in advance!

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Thank you Kcward7. I found it is awkward that the correspondence email from CIC sates that ' Dear XXX, This is refers to your application for permanent residence under the Family Class or under the Spouse or Common-law partner in Canada Class.' Does it mean I can still apply for the open work permit as a inland applicant even my wife is still outside of Canada? Thank you in advance!
Sorry I'm confused - the open work permit for a spousal application is for an inland application only and for the applicant, not the sponsor, so I don't know what you're asking.

Reactions: jackie1524

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You and your wife both need to be inside of Canada to apply inland. You can't apply inland if either of you are outside of Canada. So the answer to your question is no.

With one or both of you outside of Canada - you can only apply outland. You don't qualify for an OWP if you apply outland.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I hope you haven't filed an inland application while she is outside of Canada. You may have to withdraw and file it as outland.
Is she from Visa exempt country? If not, does she has a visitor visa?

Reactions: jackie1524

jackie1524

Sep 12, 2017
Thank you guys for your input. much appreciated! I also called CIC minutes ago, they clarified with me that the letter which was received stating it is a in-land application is a typo, she informed me that no open work permit application can be processed as this stage since the applicant is not in Canada. Thank you!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
The letter is not a typo.

Family Class = outland.

Spouse or common-law partner in Canada Class = inland.

Reactions: YVR123 and scylla

winnipeg141

Star Member
Aug 1, 2015
Hi,

I am planning to sponsor my spouse at the end of jan. She is in India, so I believe it will be outland application. Although she has visitor visa, however, for some reasons she will be staying in India for about 2-3 months. My question is when she visit me after 2-3 months on trv and her outland application is in process, can she get work permit while her outland application is in process?

Thanks

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Hi,

I am planning to sponsor my spouse at the end of jan. She is in India, so I believe it will be outland application. Although she has visitor visa, however, for some reasons she will be staying in India for about 2-3 months. My question is when she visit me after 2-3 months on trv and her outland application is in process, can she get work permit while her outland application is in process?

Thanks
No. There is no work permit option on an outland application, as per my answer above.

The work permit option is only in conjunction with an inland application, where both sponsor and applicant must apply while living together in Canada.

EconomicRefugee

Oct 8, 2018
Hi,

Thanks
Hi,

My spouse is in the same situation.
I’m sure your sponsorship was successful but just curious if you still tried for the work permit.