+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open work permit application, reason for applying and letter of explanation

almost_pr

Star Member
Nov 9, 2018
Hi everyone!

I applied for PR in Quebec under the QSW programme in August 2017. According to my GCMS notes from October, I passed all stages except Security. I have a work permit under A75 as a Postdoctoral researcher at a University until March 2019. A renewal of the employment offer is currently under negotiation with my current employer, but may only be issued for six months. I am not sure if this would be a valid offer, or if it needs to be issued for one year or more?. Due to this uncertainty, I would like to amplify my chances for work, by applying for a (bridging) open work permit.

Allow me a few questions:

1) I am aware that BOWP are not available to Quebec residents, however some have been successful in getting one anyways. So I intend to try. The main reason I want an open work permit is to be able to work as a contractor. My understanding is that this is not possible with a closed permit, but I can work as a contractor / sole proprietor under an open work permit. Is this correct so far?

2) Main question is about crafting the letter of explanation: As a reason for wanting the BOWP I intent to argue that I would be much more successful in finding and maintaining work in Quebec, if I had an open work permit. Specifically, I'd like to mention that the main reason why I need the BOWP is to be able to work as a contractor. For me personally it is really a strong disadvantage to not be able to accept contract work, which is very common in my field. But does the CIC see this as a valid reason? What is your recommendation here: should I mention this in my letter, or not?

Thank you for your insights!