+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Spousal Work Permit, HELP NEEDED

yeliu

Oct 12, 2014
Hello everyone,

I am an international master student from UBC. I will graduate this month and will apply for PGWP right after. I got married this Jan. My wife is also a citizen of China. My wife is planning to apply for open spousal work permit. I know CIC requires a skilled job to get my wife an open work permit (I didn't find any info regarding the duration of this job---permanent or contract). But right now, the problem is that I only got a skilled six month contract job.
My question is:
Do you think she can get the OWP?
Some consultants suggest me to go to the border, do you think it will be more helpful?

Thanks!

yeliu

Oct 12, 2014
Anybody who can help me with this?
yeliu said:
Hello everyone,

I am an international master student from UBC. I will graduate this month and will apply for PGWP right after. I got married this Jan. My wife is also a citizen of China. My wife is planning to apply for open spousal work permit. I know CIC requires a skilled job to get my wife an open work permit (I didn't find any info regarding the duration of this job---permanent or contract). But right now, the problem is that I only got a skilled six month contract job.
My question is:
Some consultants suggest me to go to the border, do you think it will be more helpful?

Thanks!

ajsingh

Star Member
Aug 26, 2013
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney (Nova Scotia)
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
14-12-2016
AOR Received.
02-03-2017
yeliu said:
Hello everyone,

My question is:

Thanks!

Hi, as per CIC requirements, the eligibility of a spouse to be able to get open work permit is:

• a spouse of a skilled worker in an occupation under the National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill type 0, A or B approved to work in Canada six months or longer,

Reference: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-permit-result.asp?q1_options=1i&q2_options=2d

I am not sure whether it will be safe to go for SOWP with contract job, as best bet is to go with full time job in required category.
Still, if you have the job in the required category [NOCA 0, A or B], and atleast for 6 months, then may be you can try.

Further. Is there possibility that your contract job will be made full-time after 6 months?