+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ontario PNP for Master's Graduates: Chances for PR?

jaymsc2016

Sep 29, 2016
Hi guys,

I'm currently in Canada on a study permit, and I'm pursuing a 16-month MSc degree in Ontario. Currently trying to figure out my next steps on the PR front. Here are the circumstances:

• I started the MSc in February 2016 and will graduate in June 2017
  • I currently have zero work experience.
  • I do have a confirmed job post-graduation job offer; I will be joining in July 2017. The job is a long-term (aka 'permanent') full-time position.

Upon graduation in June '17, I will have a 16 month PGWP, and during that time, I'll have to figure out a way to get PR. I can't apply under Express Entry until I have at least one year of work experience. This will only happen in July 2018, by which time I'll be cutting it a little fine, as my PGWP would be near expiry.

My other option is to apply under the international master's graduate stream within the Ontario PNP system; however, this year, I'm told the PNP applications closed on May 6 and aren't likely to reopen till November. If the same thing happens next year too, I may be in trouble, given that it takes time to submit the application, get the nomination, then apply for PR, wait for AOR, and then apply for a bridging work permit.

So my question is... how do you rate my chances for getting PR? Is it doable? Am I being too pessimistic about the time estimates? Are there any other options I may not have considered?

I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts on this.

Thanks,
J

sam_dawkins

Jul 24, 2016
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
04-01-2017 (RCMP Criminal Record Check) Submitted 20-01-2017
Nomination.....
16-09-2016
AOR Received.
24-10-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Passport Req..
25-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-01-2018
LANDED..........
11-01-2018
With 0 job experience you can not go for Express Entry right way after graduation. So your option would be have one year job experience in Canada then open EE profile. EE is the fastest route. I am not sure about other options via OINP.
jaymsc2016 said:
Hi guys,

I'm currently in Canada on a study permit, and I'm pursuing a 16-month MSc degree in Ontario. Currently trying to figure out my next steps on the PR front. Here are the circumstances:

• I started the MSc in February 2016 and will graduate in June 2017
  • I currently have zero work experience.
  • I do have a confirmed job post-graduation job offer; I will be joining in July 2017. The job is a long-term (aka 'permanent') full-time position.

Upon graduation in June '17, I will have a 16 month PGWP, and during that time, I'll have to figure out a way to get PR. I can't apply under Express Entry until I have at least one year of work experience. This will only happen in July 2018, by which time I'll be cutting it a little fine, as my PGWP would be near expiry.

My other option is to apply under the international master's graduate stream within the Ontario PNP system; however, this year, I'm told the PNP applications closed on May 6 and aren't likely to reopen till November. If the same thing happens next year too, I may be in trouble, given that it takes time to submit the application, get the nomination, then apply for PR, wait for AOR, and then apply for a bridging work permit.

So my question is... how do you rate my chances for getting PR? Is it doable? Am I being too pessimistic about the time estimates? Are there any other options I may not have considered?

I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts on this.

Thanks,
J