+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Online vs paper application - instructions are different!

james18666

Feb 26, 2015
I am in China helping someone apply for a TRV. I notice the application instructions are different when applying by paper vs online. Refer to the following page.

I can't post the link but it ends with /english/information/applications/visa.asp

I downloaded the application package for China and the instructions and requirements are completely different than the instructions for an online application. Should I download the China instructions and follow them even though I am applying online or just follow the online instructions?

On IMM5257E should I answer Yes on question 9 or is an online applications considered as applying in Canada?

simplyaddo

Jun 18, 2012
Make sure you are choosing the right country of residence even if you are applying online. The paper application is normally not very different. Here is the list of documents and instructions for applying online if you are residing in China:

http://www.cic.gc.ca//english/information/applications/visa.asp?countrySelect=CN#applications

james18666

Feb 26, 2015
Yes, I choose China as the country of residence in the online application questionnaire section. In the link you sent there are instructions for applying on paper available to download. There are separate instructions within the online application (each document you need to upload has it's own instructions with links for further information).

If I download the Visa office instructions – Visit [IMM 5884] (PDF, 713.30 KB) from that link you sent me (part of the application package for the apply on paper section) then I see many additional requirements that are not part of the instructions in the online application. For example.

In the above mentioned instruction document for a paper application in the private visitor section it requires "If you are employed, a signed original letter on company letterhead from your employer granting your leave of absence and including the following information: your name, position, current salary and date of hire and your employer’s name and address in Chinese characters as well as the telephone and fax number". However in the online application there is no such specific requirement for this.

In the instruction document for a paper application it requires the invitation letter to show "A list showing the number of people in inviter’s household" and "Proof of inviter’s income and financial situation in the form of independent, third party...". For the invitation letter instructions when applying online these 2 requirements are not mentioned.

james18666

Feb 26, 2015
Another difference is that the visa office instructions require a "Copy of your national identity document (photo side only)" whereas the online application does not ask for this.