+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Online application vs paper / physical presence calculator functionality

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Over the next few months I'm going to be helping several family members with citizenship applications, and I have some questions about the functionality. All are relatively simple applications (no time in calc before landing, for example), they'll all have a buffer of at least 15 days over the 1095 minimum, etc. We have good records of entry/exits (I am the 'keeper of the travel records.') All have good / documented English qualifications (recent/current).

However, one person has a LOT of travel - and for that person filling out the online physical presence calculator is a royal pain, hence my questions. I've only used the online calculator a bit to test how difficult it would be to enter the data by hand.

1) Is there much difference in handling/processing of the online applications for citizenship? For the person with a lot of travel (a lot of three day trips for work where only one day absence), the online form is a lot of extra tedious work compared to the digital form (where I can paste in the dates and travel destinations in adobe acrobat). That said, I can buckle down and get it done if it improves the chances of processing being quick; all are gung-ho to get their citizenship.

Questions below most relevant if the online calculator is used:
2) I understand that a citizenship app can only be saved/used for 60 days or so. But when physical presence calculator info is saved, is it retained in the system longer (i.e. until used)? In other words, is it safe to use the online calculator (saved in the log-in profile) as a running total? (right now I enter everything in a spreadsheet)

3) Do calculator profiles saved have to be used with a log-in (citizenship) profile? That is, it would be easier if I can enter the calculator details online and then send/give/attach it to the citizenship apps of the other family members, who have their own log-in profiles (mostly).
or put differently, do I have to enter the calculator details on the login profiles used for the citizenship app?

Thanks in advance for any insights.