+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

One Year window of opportunity provision

MDS91

Jan 5, 2017
Hey dear forum members,
I have some questions regarding the '' one year window program '' and I am grateful to whoever can help with this.

My story is :
I am 24 years old, my family and I applied to private sponsored refugee program and we received an interview and been accepted. The time to land in Canada assumed to be within few months, however, I may marry a girl before I travel and i want to bind with her in canada. so I came to know about the One-year-window-program.
but I am very confused on how to apply and declare my marriage and the documents needed and the time process and the fees

My questions are:

1/ I am not the Principle applicant on the Privately sponsored refugee program. My parents are the principle applicants. I am a dependent child.
so in the CIC website it says : '' The non-accompanying family member must be a family member of the principal applicant as defined in R1(3): spouses, .. etc '' . Thus, does ( one year window program ) applie to me as I am not the principle applicant ?

2/ It says in CIC website that the spouse must be identified in Form IMM008 , so my question is when shall I submit this form ? is it after I get married and before I travel to canada ? or how shall I notify the embassy of my coming marriage ?

3/ Before I travel , what are the things I need to do/submit other than the Form IMM008 ? what about the wedding contract or proof that we are in relationship or wedding photos etc ?

4/ I will live in Quebec, so are there different forms or procedures in Quebec ?

5/ there is also a form (IMM5373) , what about it and when shall I submit it ?

Thanks for everyone who helps and hope this topic also benefits other buddies
Regards

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The first thing you need to investigate is if you can even get married before coming to Canada. By getting married before coming to Canada, you may no longer be classified as a dependent on the application and may no longer be able to benefit from the sponsorship.

For all other Canadian immigration streams, once a dependent child gets married, they are no longer a dependent and are removed from the application (and must immigrate on their own). I don't know if this is also true of the refugee program. This is what you need to investigate before you make any plans to get married.