+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Old Age Security- new senior citizens

elisa222

Mar 23, 2018
Hi there,
My parents (75 and 80) just became Canadian citizens last summer after accumulating a total of 4 years (number of days) living in Ontario. When do they qualify for OAS? Is it after 10 years of residency?
I am also told that it is based on the sponsorship rules ( I sponsored them in 2019)..., and that I am responsible for them for the next 20 years. I think in the past it used to be 10 years of responsibility for them, but they changed it to 20 a few years ago.
What is your experience?
Is OAS based on the years of residency or sponsorship agreement with the government?

Thank you so much to all of you!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi there,
My parents (75 and 80) just became Canadian citizens last summer after accumulating a total of 4 years (number of days) living in Ontario. When do they qualify for OAS? Is it after 10 years of residency?
I am also told that it is based on the sponsorship rules ( I sponsored them in 2019)..., and that I am responsible for them for the next 20 years. I think in the past it used to be 10 years of responsibility for them, but they changed it to 20 a few years ago.
What is your experience?
Is OAS based on the years of residency or sponsorship agreement with the government?

Thank you so much to all of you!
https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/publicpensions/cpp/old-age-security/eligibility.html

If you are living in Canada, you must:

• be 65 years old or older
  • be a Canadian citizen or a legal resident at the time we approve your OAS pension application
  • have resided in Canada for at least 10 years since the age of 18
So once they live in Canada for 10 years they are eligible.