+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OK to travel immediately before WP expiration?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi all -

I'm a US citizen in Canada on a TWP, it will expire April 30, 2010. I want to attend a conference in the US in mid-April.

I will be submitting my TWP renewal application in late March (assuming I get a new LMO approval). I will also be applying for PR at the same time.

Should I be concerned at all about crossing the border under these circumstances?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

jes_ON said:
Hi all -

I'm a US citizen in Canada on a TWP, it will expire April 30, 2010. I want to attend a conference in the US in mid-April.

I will be submitting my TWP renewal application in late March (assuming I get a new LMO approval). I will also be applying for PR at the same time.

Should I be concerned at all about crossing the border under these circumstances?
Yes, because you want have a new work permit when you return, and if you remained in Canada you could have continued to work on implied status. BUT once you leave Canada, your implied status ends, and if you are admitted on your return, you can't work until you receive your new work permit.

PMM

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Thanks PMM. A conference is obviously not worth it. I ask the following just out of curiosity -

1 - "implied status" begins when you submit the application for renewal, even tho the original TWP has not yet expired?

2 - (Assuming I get the LMO and have all the right papers) - If I did not apply for the renewal before I went to the conference, I could apply for a new TWP on my return (Pearson-Toronto), yes? Any advantages/disadvantages?

(For my first TWP, I did a land border crossing and got the TWP on the spot - just seems so much more ... efficient. But I don't know if that would be the same for a 2nd one...)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

jes_ON said:
Thanks PMM. A conference is obviously not worth it. I ask the following just out of curiosity -

1 - "implied status" begins when you submit the application for renewal, even tho the original TWP has not yet expired?

2 - (Assuming I get the LMO and have all the right papers) - If I did not apply for the renewal before I went to the conference, I could apply for a new TWP on my return (Pearson-Toronto), yes? Any advantages/disadvantages?

(For my first TWP, I did a land border crossing and got the TWP on the spot - just seems so much more ... efficient. But I don't know if that would be the same for a 2nd one...)
1. No, the implied status starts the date the old TWP expires.
2. You could apply on the way back, if you had the LMO and a copy of the old work permit. Mind some POE officers may not process the extension as the "correct" way is through Vegreville. Most will process the TWP.

PMM