+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OINP - Masters Graduate. Will relevant work ex give you an edge?

shyguy

May 22, 2015
Hello everyone. This thread has been fairly helpful in revealing what can be the possible reasons for rejection of PNP applications in Ontario. I do have a few specific questions, the answers to which, might help me in making a few important decisions.

1) I plan to apply for PNP through the International Students - Masters Program stream. The OINP website clearly says that Masters Students can apply even without a job offer. However, looking at the excel sheet link provided in one of the replies to this thread, almost all Masters students are showing work-experience ( I don't know if that is work ex in their home country coz some of them are showing a large number of years of work ex). Is it that graduates with a job offer will be given a preference over those without a job? Or is it on first come first served basis, where, as long as the applications are complete, you will be given nomination, irrespective of whether the ones applying after you have a job or not?

2) Furthermore, I am currently working as a Customer Service Representative (Teller) in a top bank in Canada. Unfortunately, this job profile is not considered as a 'relevant' job experience as far as the Express Entry is concerned. Also, if I was an under-grad student, this would not be considered as a relevant work-ex. (Again, since Masters stream doesn't require a job offer, it may not matter). By God's grace, I am doing fairly well and meeting my sales targets. If I really push my managers to promote me to Financial Services Representative (which is considered a relevant job), they might do it. But, I will come across as slightly desperate, since it has only been 6 months on the job (and I will be applying for PNP this coming January). If you guys think that having a relevant job adds a lot of weight to my PNP application, I can try for it. If it is on first come first served basis and I will be given equal weightage as the ones applying after me, irrespective of my job profile, then I won't push for it.

Looking forward to some helpful guidance. Thank you.

Nasa2n2

Star Member
Jun 3, 2013
I won't push my employer to promote me, especially within the first 6 months - I guess you still in probation period.
relevant vs. irrelevant work contract won't affect your application for Master stream. OINP want to ensure that you can handle your expenses for period of 12 months. I know some Master applicants with general labour job and they have got nomination.