+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP rejection and private insurance

PriyaDarshini

Nov 14, 2023
Hi,

I am currently on an Open Work Permit while my employer is located in Nova Scotia, and I work remotely from Ontario. However, my OHIP application was rejected by Service Ontario because my employer is not based in Ontario. On the other hand, my husband is also on an Open Work Permit, and his employer operates in Ontario, allowing him to obtain OHIP coverage.

I am uncertain whether I qualify for OHIP based on my husband's status since I am not on a spousal open work permit(I have a separate open work permit). This uncertainty leaves me unsure if I am eligible to receive OHIP coverage. It will be helpful if someone let me know if i am eligible.

Additionally, as we are planning to start a family soon, I am concerned about securing private insurance that covers all aspects of pregnancy until I become eligible for OHIP.

Could anyone please advise on which private insurance options might cover all pregnancy-related expenses until I am eligible for OHIP?

Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

I am currently on an Open Work Permit while my employer is located in Nova Scotia, and I work remotely from Ontario. However, my OHIP application was rejected by Service Ontario because my employer is not based in Ontario. On the other hand, my husband is also on an Open Work Permit, and his employer operates in Ontario, allowing him to obtain OHIP coverage.

I am uncertain whether I qualify for OHIP based on my husband's status since I am not on a spousal open work permit(I have a separate open work permit). This uncertainty leaves me unsure if I am eligible to receive OHIP coverage. It will be helpful if someone let me know if i am eligible.

Additionally, as we are planning to start a family soon, I am concerned about securing private insurance that covers all aspects of pregnancy until I become eligible for OHIP.

Could anyone please advise on which private insurance options might cover all pregnancy-related expenses until I am eligible for OHIP?

Thanks!
Most private insurance won’t cover pregnancy. Some do cover the first few months but only very expensive polices tend to cover pregnancy and you typically have to purchase the policy before coming to Canada. How did you and your spouse get WPs, does your employer have offices in Ontario? Are you willing to change jobs? Can your spouse work remotely from Nova Scotia?

PriyaDarshini

Nov 14, 2023
Most private insurance won’t cover pregnancy. Some do cover the first few months but only very expensive polices tend to cover pregnancy and you typically have to purchase the policy before coming to Canada. How did you and your spouse get WPs, does your employer have offices in Ontario? Are you willing to change jobs? Can your spouse work remotely from Nova Scotia?
We came as international students and got our open work permits separately after which we got married, so we have separate open work permits. And no my employer do not have a office in Ontario and my husband must go to office in Ontario so moving to NS is not possible, If there is no other option, changing jobs is the only way i think.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi,

Thanks!
I would be postponing any thought of starting a family until you’ve nailed down that your covered by health insurance, unless you have a large nest egg to cover the expense .
You don’t want to end up like a few we’ve seen on here, that end up expecting a baby , and being covered by insurance was a after thought .
But hey, you do you
I did a random search and only found policies that provide things just as massage , breast pumps etc for expectant mothers . Those also EXPLICITLY stated they do not cover the cost of birth . You’re on the hook for that

Last edited:
Reactions: YVR123

PriyaDarshini

Nov 14, 2023
I would be postponing any thought of starting a family until you’ve nailed down that your covered by health insurance, unless you have a large nest egg to cover the expense .
You don’t want to end up like a few we’ve seen on here, that end up expecting a baby , and being covered by insurance was a after thought .
But hey, you do you
I did a random search and only found policies that provide things just as massage , breast pumps etc for expectant mothers . Those also EXPLICITLY stated they do not cover the cost of birth . You’re on the hook for that
thanks for the reply, yes we are planning to do the same. I found the same in my research too. Also is it possible to convert my open work permit to a spousal open work permit so i will be a dependent to my husband and will be covered in OHIP? because i saw this statement in their website :

are in Ontario on a valid work permit and are working full-time in Ontario, for an Ontario employer, for at least 6 months
  • if you meet this requirement, your spouse and dependants may also qualify for OHIP

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
thanks for the reply, yes we are planning to do the same. I found the same in my research too. Also is it possible to convert my open work permit to a spousal open work permit so i will be a dependent to my husband and will be covered in OHIP? because i saw this statement in their website :

are in Ontario on a valid work permit and are working full-time in Ontario, for an Ontario employer, for at least 6 months
  • if you meet this requirement, your spouse and dependants may also qualify for OHIP
So you both came as international students and when did you both get PGWP and when do they expire? How long have you been working and when it your due date since qualifying for materiality leave EI for 1+ should also be a consideration.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
yes, we got it by this year Jan and have it for the next 3 years
Have you considered maternity maternity (EI)? Unless you have a lot of extra funds EI provides extra money so you wouldn’t go down to 1 income but would require you to work in Ontario. Do either of your employers provide extended benefit programs?