+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

odsp and immigration help please!

smithfamily

Aug 22, 2013
so I'm my husbands sponsor we are due to file the final application in April 2015
last month I was approved for odsp..my caseworker finally started working on granting the file last weekcwe thought it would be cut and dry..she started asking about my Hubby's immigration stuff..she called our lawyer and got confirmation I can be on odsp sponsoring him..but stated he can't be added on my benefits as I will have to pay back his portion.. may I ad he has his work visa but is injured presently and temporarily cannot work.. anyways..our immigration lawyer doesn't recommendhes added to my benefits.. but if I have to pay back his portion who cares right?if it's a risk well it sounds like its a risk to be on odsp anyways..I'm so afraid odsp will deny me now..or Tell me to wait till he's a PR..I cannot! I need to. be on it as I'm disabled and he's not working either..I know we can servive presently cause my house is subsidized.. I have like a 4000$ backpay coming which is the only way I'll be able to pay the next application and final lawyers fee...don't know what to do seems like we have taught forever and struggled cause I've always been underemployed but we don't lack love we have 2kids and I'm not giving him up I'd move to his country if I had to

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's true that someone on ODSP can still sponsor their spouse. However occasionally we do see people refused on this forum who are on ODSP because CIC has concerns they won't be able to support their spouse once their spouse becomes a PR and their spouse may end up on social assistance as well (rather than working). I suspect this may be why your lawyer is advising you not to add your husband to ODSP yet - because this may actually make it more difficult for you to be approved as a sponsor and for the PR application to be approved if both you and your husband are on ODSP.

Is there a reason why you are worried that ODSP will deny you? Is it mandatory that you include your spouse in your ODSP application? If not, then it sounds like following your lawyer's advice may be the right thing to do - and leave your husband off your ODSP application for now. Unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with the ODSP enrollment rules to advise you.

Gango is waiting

Jul 10, 2014
smithfamily said:
so I'm my husbands sponsor we are due to file the final application in April 2015
last month I was approved for odsp..my caseworker finally started working on granting the file last weekcwe thought it would be cut and dry..she started asking about my Hubby's immigration stuff..she called our lawyer and got confirmation I can be on odsp sponsoring him..but stated he can't be added on my benefits as I will have to pay back his portion.. may I ad he has his work visa but is injured presently and temporarily cannot work.. anyways..our immigration lawyer doesn't recommendhes added to my benefits.. but if I have to pay back his portion who cares right?if it's a risk well it sounds like its a risk to be on odsp anyways..I'm so afraid odsp will deny me now..or Tell me to wait till he's a PR..I cannot! I need to. be on it as I'm disabled and he's not working either..I know we can servive presently cause my house is subsidized.. I have like a 4000$ backpay coming which is the only way I'll be able to pay the next application and final lawyers fee...don't know what to do seems like we have taught forever and struggled cause I've always been underemployed but we don't lack love we have 2kids and I'm not giving him up I'd move to his country if I had to
msg rathika2011, she had the same problem and she also was refused and won the case... now her husband is living with her in canada and also she is a very helpful girl you can get advices from her

CBURNS

Sep 10, 2015
smithfamily said:
Hi, My husband is a Canadian Citizen on ODSP or "was" he was removed completly because he is legally married to me, I am not a resident yet, and still reside in the states and come on a visitor visa only. They say because of my income even though I do not live here they must include my income. My husband was on ODSP for over 30 yrs. and his worker took him off everything. Now we are trying to fight it with the MPP office, legal Aide, etc. and so far to no avail...He cannot even get help from Ontario Works (welfare) because they want me to be part of it and sign papers. Heres the thing, by their own laws I can not sign or receive any help because I am not a resident or citizen, but at the same time they want to try and force me into it. Please, if anyone has any information on this please send it to me! please!! Again, I have only visitor status and have been told that even when I go back to the states I am still responsible for here due to being married which is crazy...Also, in the mean time my husband and his 2 sons will lose there apt. the elect. is due to go off on the 15th of this month and they donot care. The only thing they are looking at is the word "wife" and "money". How is this even possible they treat their own people like this? How is it that being married allows them to abuse their citizens and visitor spouses who need to return to their homes.