+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Odds Of Getting A Student Visa If You've Already Applied For Spousal Sponsorship

Obi2

Dec 9, 2014
I was wondering about this scenario. I'm going to apply for spousal sponsorship for my wife from Moldova simply because waiting longer will just make that process go on longer.

But when she comes here we always planned for her to go to school to study English. We have sufficient funds for that to be possible, but is it basically a no-go for her to get a student visa if she has a pending spousal sponsorship application also under processing?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There is nothing stopping you from trying the student visa route. However you'll want to make sure that your wife looks like a genuine student and not just like someone who is using a study visa as a means of getting into Canada. I would strong recommend against applying for a student visa just to study English in Canada. These applications have a very high rate of refusal since this is the route many non-genuine students try to take.

If she wants to have a try at applying, it should be for a multi-year degree or diploma program (university degree is preferable). The program she selects must also make sense in terms of her past education and any work experience (e.g if she completed a bachelor in her home country with a business focus, an MBA would be the next logical step). Note that it's too late to obtain a study permit for the January intake at this point. So you would be looking at May for the start of her classes. The first step is to apply and be accepted by a college or university program in Canada (note that not all programs have May intakes). Make sure you check out the Designated Learning Institution list on the CIC web site to verify the school is recognized by CIC (study visas are only granted for recognized schools).

To be approved, your wife will also need to demonstrate that she has sufficient funds to pay for her tuition and living expenses. This will involve showing a bank balance of first year tuition + $10k living expenses + $2-3K for travel expenses. I'm sure you've already seen that tuition for foreign students is substantially higher than that for domestic students. So the bank balance she will need to show will be $20K minimum (likely higher).