+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Odd Question, Renoucing Citizenship

helios

Star Member
Oct 30, 2009
I searched a round for a bit and could not find much info. I have a friend who want to give up his Canadian citizenship in favour of another country's. However he wishes to retain his PR status. Is this possible? I've read the guide to Renounce Citizenship, it does not mention anything. The only clue I've found is in the FAQ section, where it states that should the person wishes remain in Canada or receive PR status, he must go through immigration procedures.

My question is, Would this person have to go through the entire immigration process like a foreign national, or would it just be the matter of applying for a PR card.

TIA

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As far as I know, he would become a foreign national and if he wanted PR status he'd have to immigrate like anyone else.

Just out of curiosity, what country is he naturalizing in?

helios said:
I searched a round for a bit and could not find much info. I have a friend who want to give up his Canadian citizenship in favour of another country's. However he wishes to retain his PR status. Is this possible? I've read the guide to Renounce Citizenship, it does not mention anything. The only clue I've found is in the FAQ section, where it states that should the person wishes remain in Canada or receive PR status, he must go through immigration procedures.

My question is, Would this person have to go through the entire immigration process like a foreign national, or would it just be the matter of applying for a PR card.

TIA

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
is it possible to keep a double citizenship not giving up the Canadian?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

quote author=Suin link=topic=31967.msg196400#msg196400 date=1262758931]
is it possible to keep a double citizenship not giving up the Canadian?
[/quote]

Canada doesn't care, some countries don't allow dual citizenship, India, Germany etc.

PMM

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Once you become a citizen, you are no longer a PR. Renouncing citizenship will mean that he will be a foreigner and if he wants PR, he will have to immigrate again.

helios

Star Member
Oct 30, 2009
Karlshammar said:
As far as I know, he would become a foreign national and if he wanted PR status he'd have to immigrate like anyone else.

Just out of curiosity, what country is he naturalizing in?
Chinese, PRC. I think it is because he does so much traveling between the two countries, it is really a hassle to get visas to China all the time, plus he is only able to stay for a short period (new chinese regulations) in China each time.

Thanks to everyone for their inputs.

helios

Star Member
Oct 30, 2009
Leon said:
Once you become a citizen, you are no longer a PR. Renouncing citizenship will mean that he will be a foreigner and if he wants PR, he will have to immigrate again.
I just find it odd that there is a regulation concerning revoking citizenship and reverting back to PR status when it is found that fraudulent date (time stayed in Canada) is used to obtain citizenship. Canadian government would give back PR status to those whom became citizen under false pretenses, but not to those who through honest means; then again, who said anything government does is sensible...

Once again Thanks!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well, I guess when you are telling them you don't want it anymore, they take it more seriously than when you lie about your residency.

You can read something about it at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/cp/cp09-eng.pdf
The part about renouncing citizenship starts at page 17.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
PMM said:
Hi

Canada doesn't care, some countries don't allow dual citizenship, India, Germany etc.

PMM
yes, and unfortunately my country of citizenship too. does it mean that I will not be able to apply for Canadian passport until I give up my current one?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Suin said:
yes, and unfortunately my country of citizenship too. does it mean that I will not be able to apply for Canadian passport until I give up my current one?
You can apply for Canadian citizenship and get it because Canada doesn't care. Then it's up to you to tell your other country of citizenship or let them find out. Some countries are diligent about checking, they may check if you have gotten Canadian citizenship every time you renew your passport if they know you are living in Canada for example and other countries don't really ever check and may never find out if you don't tell them.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Which country are you from? Some countries restrict dual citizenship but will allow it with special permission.

Suin said: