+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Obtaining citizenship for second generation born outside Canada?

Plynn

Jan 17, 2019
Hello! I'm a Canadian citizen born outside Canada to a parent born in Canada, and am currently sponsoring my husband and children to move back with me.

I know that children born outside of Canada to Canadian citizens born outside of Canada after 2009 are no longer automatically citizens unless they immigrate to Canada.

But because we are immigrating to Canada, I was wondering what steps I would need to take to get them citizenship. Because I'm their parent and a Canadian citizen, will they automatically be able to acquire citizenship upon moving back? Will they need to go through the classic process of becoming a naturalized citizen? How does that work?

Thank you!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hello! I'm a Canadian citizen born outside Canada to a parent born in Canada, and am currently sponsoring my husband and children to move back with me.

I know that children born outside of Canada to Canadian citizens born outside of Canada after 2009 are no longer automatically citizens unless they immigrate to Canada.

But because we are immigrating to Canada, I was wondering what steps I would need to take to get them citizenship. Because I'm their parent and a Canadian citizen, will they automatically be able to acquire citizenship upon moving back? Will they need to go through the classic process of becoming a naturalized citizen? How does that work?

Thank you!
Yes, they will need to go through the process of becoming a naturalized Canadian citizen. There is no other mechanism available.
So, first step is to get them Permanent Resident status, as this is a mandatory prerequisite.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/apply.html

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Thank you!
Note that you can apply for their Canadian citizenship as soon as they are PRs. They do not need to meet the citizenship residency requirements.