+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Oath Ceremony While Outside Canada - What Should I do?

Sa3Sa3

Apr 11, 2012
Saskatoon
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2012-07-27
Although I informed them about my travel plans and received confirmation that it was forwarded to the processing office, I received an invitation today to the Oath ceremony on August 7th. It is a video ceremony.

I am currently in Egypt and will fly back to Canada on August 28th.

What should I do?

Should I reply to them asking for a reschedule, stating that I already informed them about my travel plans? Or should I proceed with the Oath ceremony and apply for the passport at the Canadian Embassy here in Egypt?

Any suggestions from anyone who has been in a similar situation?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Although I informed them about my travel plans and received confirmation that it was forwarded to the processing office, I received an invitation today to the Oath ceremony on August 7th. It is a video ceremony.

I am currently in Egypt and will fly back to Canada on August 28th.

What should I do?

Should I reply to them asking for a reschedule, stating that I already informed them about my travel plans? Or should I proceed with the Oath ceremony and apply for the passport at the Canadian Embassy here in Egypt?

Any suggestions from anyone who has been in a similar situation?
Taking the oath outside of Canada is not possible.

You either return to Canada earlier and take the oath as scheduled from within Canada or you ask IRCC to postpone the oath to a later date.

Sa3Sa3

Apr 11, 2012
Saskatoon
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2012-07-27
Taking the oath outside of Canada is not possible.

You either return to Canada earlier and take the oath as scheduled from within Canada or you ask IRCC to postpone the oath to a later date.
Thanks!
You are right. Here is what it says in the invitation:

3. Inside Canada: By participating in this video oath ceremony, you confirm that you, and any family
members associated to your application, will be taking the Oath of citizenship in Canada. If you are
not currently in Canada, contact us as soon as possible in order for us to reschedule your ceremony.
Indicate “Outside Canada – Oath of citizenship” in the subject line of the email. Within the text of your
email, include your name, application number and planned date of return to Canada.