+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Non-resident, sponsorship & income tax

donfather

Sep 28, 2019
Hi all,

I am a Canadian Citizen who has qualified to be a non-resident because I have no ties in Canada, so I am not required to pay Canadian income tax right now. But I'm thinking about applying to sponsor my wife because we plan to move back within the next few years. I just don't know if she gets approved as a PR, will I then need to start paying Canadian income tax even before we move to Canada? Thanks in advance.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi all,

I am a Canadian Citizen who has qualified to be a non-resident because I have no ties in Canada, so I am not required to pay Canadian income tax right now. But I'm thinking about applying to sponsor my wife because we plan to move back within the next few years. I just don't know if she gets approved as a PR, will I then need to start paying Canadian income tax even before we move to Canada? Thanks in advance.
A sponsorship app has nothing to do with your tax residency. Note that you will need to prove that you intend to move to Canada as soon as the app is processed, so if you are not moving for a few years, it is too early.