+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC 4012 and claiming TA/RA work done during Ph.D. as FSW in your EE application

punter123

Oct 11, 2022
Hi all, A long-time lurker on this forum I used to search for the question in the title. This situation is not that common but comes up from time to time for Ph.D. degree holders applying for EE. I had the same question but now after successfully applying for EE under the CEC category I just wanted to leave this note here for other just in case.
I was able to claim the work done as Research Assistantship/Teaching Assistantship as FSW or foreign job under the 4012 NOC code experience during my Ph.D. in the USA on an F1 visa. It totaled to 3 years. It was a 35-hour-per-week appointment in Fall/Autumn semester and 20 hours during the Summer semesters. Please note that I held continuous appointments for 5 years and was paid without any breaks. All of this was during my Ph.D. in the USA. I was TA for 2 years and RA for 3 years. To prove all this I submitted the following documents.
  1. Letter from the Ph.D. supervisor stating my responsibilities as RA/TA, no. of hours each semester, salary, bonus, publications, courses taught, breaks/holidays, etc.
  2. 10-15 salary slips from each year
  3. W2 tax forms that I had for 5 years in the U.S.
I applied under the CEC category with 1 year of job experience in Canada but the 3 years of work experience under NOC 4012 as RA/TA helped me get enough points to qualify and get an ITA.