+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC 2174 and date qualified to practice

tuxarc

Star Member
Jun 29, 2020
I have a worked as a software developer (NOC 2174), both as an employee in various companies, as well as self-employed. I am filling in the Occupation section in the Express Entry form, and I wonder which date I should put in the field: "Date XXXX first became qualified to practice in this occupation."

My degree is in a different discipline (Economics) which had only a small amount of related courses, and since I am a self-taught developer a great part of my work experience was before I even graduated from University.

The employment requirements for this NOC are the following:
  • A bachelor's degree in computer science or in another discipline with a significant programming component
    or
    Completion of a college program in computer science is usually required.
  • Specialization in programming for engineering and scientific applications requires specific post-secondary study or experience.

Which date should I put in that field? Does experience before that date count for the calculation of CRS points?

sasanso

Feb 26, 2022
Hi, I'm in a similar position, self-thought iOS Developer, with not relevant custom management bachelor's degree,
I am afraid that even if I get the job offer, the visa officer reject my application because my unrelated education.

Does anybody know what will happen in my case?

Thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi, I'm in a similar position, self-thought iOS Developer, with not relevant custom management bachelor's degree,
I am afraid that even if I get the job offer, the visa officer reject my application because my unrelated education.

Does anybody know what will happen in my case?

Thanks
Is this for Express Entry? Your job doesn’t have to match your education. For job offer, you would need a LMIA. The employer would have to prove no Canadian or PR could be hired, only you. Then you apply for closed work permit. So yes, you would have to show that your education and job experience match the job. Few employers go through the LMIA process.

Reactions: sasanso

sasanso

Feb 26, 2022
Is this for Express Entry? Your job doesn’t have to match your education. For job offer, you would need a LMIA. The employer would have to prove no Canadian or PR could be hired, only you. Then you apply for closed work permit. So yes, you would have to show that your education and job experience match the job. Few employers go through the LMIA process.
I want to apply to BC PNP tech program after getting a job offer, that way the employer doesn't need to go through LMIA process, but I am afraid it affects my application some other way for example I've heard that your application may get rejected by visa officers because they think that you are not qualified without a degree, although in my industry, most of the programmers don't have the degree and they just learn by themselves and companies care more about the experience too.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I want to apply to BC PNP tech program after getting a job offer, that way the employer doesn't need to go through LMIA process, but I am afraid it affects my application some other way for example I've heard that your application may get rejected by visa officers because they think that you are not qualified without a degree, although in my industry, most of the programmers don't have the degree and they just learn by themselves and companies care more about the experience too.
Read through the PNP program guide to find out if you are eligible. Also your employer has to be eligible too and meet certain requirements too.

sasanso

Feb 26, 2022
Read through the PNP program guide to find out if you are eligible. Also your employer has to be eligible too and meet certain requirements too.
I did, it says that you must be qualified for the job you've been offered, and in the related NOC code, it says that a computer science degree is usually required, and I think that means that the officer needs to decide, am I right?
I just need to get more info on this topic from people with more knowledge or experience in this process.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I did, it says that you must be qualified for the job you've been offered, and in the related NOC code, it says that a computer science degree is usually required, and I think that means that the officer needs to decide, am I right?
I just need to get more info on this topic from people with more knowledge or experience in this process.
Post your question under Provincial Nomination section. There are threads on BC PNP Tech there.

Reactions: sasanso